Wild Leo wandering a reserve

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
My friend is in SA for her HS reunion and snapped a shot of this guy while on a tour on a reserve.
I'm surprised he has so much pyramiding?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445952538.573776.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He is beautiful. I have always wanted a leopard tort.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Cool!

There are a lot of photographs of wild leopard tortoises (and other types) that show pyramiding. It's usually not as bad as some captive specimens.

Some say it's because they started out life in captivity. I am not sure how likely that is, but it's interesting to note anyway.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When I was in South Africa my South African friends told me that its pretty common for people to find a wild baby, keep it for a few years, and then turn it loose wherever they think is a good place. They also told me that there really aren't any truly "wild" places left. They said that human influence has now defiled the entire continent.

Another points of semantics is that every large piece of property over there is referred to as a "reserve". These are basically private ranches made up of thousands of acres and often stretch as far as you can see. When I did a Mercedes commercial over there with our baboons we housed them at one "reserve" prepped and trained at a second "reserve" all day and then we filmed on a third private reserve. People live on and around these giant places and there are all sorts of wild animals and introduced "wild" animals running around.

Sort of like what we see here when people find box turtles, gopher tortoises or CA desert tortoises. All of my friends growing up had stories about finding wild DTs and bringing them home into the back yard. Some of them released them back into the desert after a while.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I don't think it should be all that surprising to find wild tortoises with pyramiding shells. Especially in Africa. When I spent some time in Etheopia and Kenya many years back they had been through a four year drought. Any tortoise that was young during that time would be either dead - or if they survived . Severely dehydrated.

We often want to think of the natural environment as the best / healthy environment but this is not always true. Deprivation happens in nature quite frequently.