Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
In the past I've tried to research the temps in the natural range of the sulcata and come up pretty short. I'm talking 10 or 15 years ago. Well for the past month or so I've been trying again and its a whole lot easier to do now. I've been able to search all sorts of sites, but I found the weather boxes on my Mac Dashboard to be the easiest. I looked at a map of Africa in the areas and countries where sulcatas range and I randomly started typing in city names and most of them come up. I've been watching 6 of them several times a day for several weeks now and its pretty interesting. Now I've never even heard of these cities, and I have no idea if there is a single sulcata tortoise within a 100 miles of any of these, but its interesting none the less. As best I can tell from the maps and book info I've got, the equator is a bit south of the sulcatas range and the Tropic of Cancer more or less bisects the whole sulcata range, so technically, around half of the listed range appears to be NOT in the tropics. My cities are:
Naye, Senegal
Kedougou, Senegal
Markala, Mali
Kaolack, Senegal
Nayala, Sudan
Abeche, Chad

The first five cities have all been in the 90's every day and dropping down into the 50's every night. Since we are talking about the Northern Hemisphere this SHOULD be their winter too. I'm wondering if it gets even hotter in the summer and if the nights don't get so cool in the "summer" over there. The sixth city, Abeche, seems to be like the Phoenix, AZ of Africa. They are 110-114 most of the days I've been watching, but their nights still get into the 50's.

Obviously there is nothing "scientific" about all this, I just find it interesting and thought I would share it with other sulcata people. What I can't get an answer to is when is the "rainy" season over there. Does any one know?

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Yes, very interesting.. And bout that last question, I'm sure u will figure that out soon and then share :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jaizei said:
Climate:
tropical; hot, humid; rainy season (May to November) has strong southeast winds; dry season (December to April) dominated by hot, dry, harmattan wind

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/sg.html

Great site jaizei. I did not know it existed. Thank you. I had to google "harmattan wind" and that was pretty cool too. We had something similar going on here for a few days a couple of weeks ago. Seems like a great time to be in an underground burrow. It said temps can be as low as 37.4 degrees at times during those winds.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As spring time gets closer all my African cities are now climbing into 100-110 every day and only dropping to the high 60's to mid 70's at night.

Who said sulcatas need a cooling period for night? Or that its "un-natural" to keep them warm all the time. When our days are in the 100's and our night drop into the 60's during summer time here, my underground shelters stay 80 degrees 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.