Not open for further replies.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
robbercrab_1.jpg

aldabragianttortoiseartisamsterdam2008_1.jpg

whereseychelles_1.gif

Located in the Indian Ocean, 640km from the East African coast line and 420km northwest of Madagascar, lies the beautiful and almost human free Atoll of Aldabra.

The Atoll’s annual constant temperatures provide the perfect habitat for not only the seabirds to breed all year round, but also the perfect home for a wide varity of unique plant and animal species.

This Atoll is largely undisturbed by humans and is kept this way in order to keep the peacefullness and protection for the the many unhuman inhabitants.
It was Charles Darwin in 1874 who demanded the islands to be kept preserved as a natural laboratory.
Key Facts:
Area: 350 sq km
Climate: semi-arid; wet season November-April
Temperature: 20-30 degrees Celcius; cooler during rains
Rainfall: 1200mm
Vegetation: Mangrove forest in saltwater areas, scrub and thickets, large areas of forest and pams on South Island
Many thousands of years ago, Aldabra Atoll started life as a fringe of coral surrounding a large volcano that protruded from the sea. Tremendous forces generated by continental shifts are thought to have caused the volcano to collapse and sink beneath the waves.
However, the coral circling it continued to grow, and ti now surrounds a central lagoon where the volcano used to be. Vegetatoin gradually built up on teh coral and the islands were colonised by plants and animals.

http://scienceray.com/biology/ecology/wildlife-of-the-aldabra-atoll/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG! Those metalic crabs on SG1 really are REAL!! Where's Richard Dean Anderson when you need him?

fgately

5 Year Member
I believe that is a coconut crab. They have claws that can open up a friggin coconut! I have also heard they are predatory, and basically grab and rip apart what they catch and eat. They look like a giant hermit crab without the shell.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I...WANT...ONE...

I have wanted a coconut crab for years! Those things are SERIOUSLY Sci-Fi... I NEED one!!!

Very interesting read, Cory!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
that don't look like no crab to me, it looks like a big spider.

ekm5015

5 Year Member
Many thousands of years ago, Aldabra Atoll started life as a fringe of coral surrounding a large volcano that protruded from the sea. Tremendous forces generated by continental shifts are thought to have caused the volcano to collapse and sink beneath the waves.
However, the coral circling it continued to grow, and ti now surrounds a central lagoon where the volcano used to be. Vegetatoin gradually built up on teh coral and the islands were colonised by plants and animals.

How did a giant tort like the aldabran get onto this island? They sure didnt swim there. Unless the answer is obvious like humans brought them I am interested to know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the school of thought was that they floated there. Seems like the really high-domed tortoises are full of air and can float for great lengths of time.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
sounds like a naval invasion

ForestExotics

10 Year Member!
USA
I have never heard of thouse crabs I thought it was a joke. wow.

moswen

5 Year Member
Madortoise said:
Thank God for Darwin...oh that sounds a little funny, doesn't it?

LOL!! literally, i laughed out loud at that one.

i'm not going to lie, i'm not scared of snakes, spiders, bats, tigers, bears.... but, oh my, i really would be scared of that crab! that's the freakiest thing i've ever seen. i would ....respectfully... LOVE to taste one though...

Status
Not open for further replies.