Will a heat cord help me warm up my 'floor'?

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Hey all,
I posted my new winter quarters recently and everything seems to be stabilizing well (ambient room temp is 80 and ambient humidity is 65-70%) but the actual mulch is a bit cooler than I would like it. I have two heat lamps set up to created a decent sized basking spot but that's about the only place where more than the very surface of the mulch is warm. I've read that heat cables don't raise ambient heat without a closed chamber but all I really want to do is take the chill off the mulch now that we are really reaching cold days. I'm thinking about getting Big apple's 27' heat cable to bury on a grid under about 1/3 of the total area. Does that seem like a sufficient plan to make sure they have a warm spot to rest their bellies?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I've been reading about heat tape ( @ZEROPILOT was talking about it, I think) and apparently it's great stuff! You can get it in all types of wattage, which is specified by blahblah watts per inch.
I've been to BigAppleHerps a couple looking at things, and they seem bit expensive, so I'd look for deals too :)

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
I've been reading about heat tape ( @ZEROPILOT was talking about it, I think) and apparently it's great stuff! You can get it in all types of wattage, which is specified by blahblah watts per inch.
I've been to BigAppleHerps a couple looking at things, and they seem bit expensive, so I'd look for deals too :)

The one I've got my eye on is $26 for 27' (here http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes)...I guess I don't know what the going rate is but that seemed reasonable to me. I just liked them because they are the only brand I've found that explicitly states that the cord is waterproof rather than water resistant and I'm paranoid ;)

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
It's good to be paranoid! :D That looks nice. Just make sue it's secured so no one can get tangled up.
Hahah Thanks! I remember reading somewhere (possibly here?) that you can secure it to wire mesh and bury it....I figured if I sandwiched it between the 16 mil mesh I already have it would be sulcata proof-ish (because nothing is truly sulcata proof) :p

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hahah Thanks! I remember reading somewhere (possibly here?) that you can secure it to wire mesh and bury it....I figured if I sandwiched it between the 16 mil mesh I already have it would be sulcata proof-ish (because nothing is truly sulcata proof) :p
Nothing.
:D
Maybe wrap it in and out of the squares, that wound be safer, and at least not loose!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
If it's waterproof at all. The best route would be to place the heat cable in the tank then a layer of pea gravel the place wire mesh over that then the soil with mulch, you can add a small half in diameter pipe in one of the corners of the tank so you can fill the gravel bed with water. When the heat cables are on it will create a weeping humidity chamber and keep the enclosure warm with high humidity. This method would not require the soil being wet at all. It's what we use to do for dart frog terrariums back in the day, works great. But we used aquarium heaters to heat the water. If these are water proof that would be a great option.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
I have never used that particular brand or style. But I'd bury it a good 5-6" or whatever it recommends. Also a thermostat would be a very good idea in case it got too hot,

Thanks! I'd have to double check but I think my cypress mulch depth averages around 5" so I could just put it at the very bottom. As for the thermostat I'm trying to decide if I should follow big apples advice and put the probe directly on the heat rope or on top of the mulch I want it to heat....I suppose I could not be so lazy and figure out what temp the surface is based on the cord heat :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use an 11' heat rope. Only about 6' is a heater. the rest is just cord. I didn't bury it. It is taped to the bottom of my glass closed chamber and under soil and damp orchid bark. The small wattage ones wouldn't burn anyone even if they came into contact with it and fell asleep! Mine is 15 watt. Some claim to be water proof. If I had one in damp substrate, I'd get water proof. Mine says "water resistant" and not to immerse in water. I saw actual water PROOF units. None are very expensive. If you have a glass bottom, then tape it to the outside of the bottom glass and slightly elevate the enclosure so that the heat can escape out the bottom. If you have a wooden bottom, place it inside and under your substrate. The moisture in your substrate will carry that warmth all through the place. My temps are up to an average 82 degrees with no other heat source except running Flourescent UVB in my air conditioned 72 degree house. This set-up also bolsters the humidity.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
If it's waterproof at all. The best route would be to place the heat cable in the tank then a layer of pea gravel the place wire mesh over that then the soil with mulch, you can add a small half in diameter pipe in one of the corners of the tank so you can fill the gravel bed with water. When the heat cables are on it will create a weeping humidity chamber and keep the enclosure warm with high humidity. This method would not require the soil being wet at all. It's what we use to do for dart frog terrariums back in the day, works great. But we used aquarium heaters to heat the water. If these are water proof that would be a great option.

Oh that's really cool! it claims it's waterproof. Would that work for only part of the enclosure? like only put pea gravel and heat rope in about a third of it? I'm working with a 4'x10 area and want to give them a cooler space as well.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
I use an 11' heat rope. Only about 6' is a heater. the rest is just cord. I didn't bury it. It is taped to the bottom of my glass closed chamber and under soil and damp orchid bark. The small wattage ones wouldn't burn anyone even if they came into contact with it and fell asleep! Mine is 15 watt. Some claim to be water proof. If I had one in damp substrate, I'd get water proof. Mine says "water resistant" and not to immerse in water. I saw actual water PROOF units. None are very expensive. If you have a glass bottom, then tape it to the outside of the bottom glass and slightly elevate the enclosure so that the heat can escape out the bottom. If you have a wooden bottom, place it inside and under your substrate. The moisture in your substrate will carry that warmth all through the place. My temps are up to an average 82 degrees with no other heat source except running Flourescent UVB in my air conditioned 72 degree house. This set-up also bolsters the humidity.

The one I'm looking at says its waterproof and it specifies that the heated portion of the cable is 27' plus a few feet for the cold lead. This (http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...djustable-winter-quarters.105066/#post-981331) is my set up...it has a double layer of 16 mil waterproof boat tarp under it, I assume I would treat that likee a wooden bottom.

Last edited:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Cool. You should be surprised with the results. Will it be sealed in? Or an open topped enclosure?