Will Gomez ever forgive me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
About two weeks ago we started taking our torts in every night. Prior to that they had been sleeping outside for the first month we owned them. I know bringing them in has been the best thing for their health, but the change in routines has made Gomez flinchy. He used to be quite sociable -- happy to have his shell patted, coming out of the burrow when he hears our voices. Now he seems afraid of us -- he withdraws into his shell when we're around and he's peed a couple times when I've picked him up to transition between his enclosures. I try not to sneak up on the little guy, but I do have to drag him out of his burrow at bedtime. He seems so frightened. Is this a stress reaction to being handled more and/or put in a new setup? If so, how long does that typically last? Is there anything I can do to ease his fright? His little sister has been unfazed by the change.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I believe it's the change. Some torts get more stressed than others. Gomez apparently adapted to what is natural for torts. The change to inside isn't natural for him and he's scared out of his wits. Time may make things better. I would try not to handle him except to get him inside at night. I would try to let him adapt to his new setup. Then maybe he'll get back to his old self. Btw, why did you start taking him inside?

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Prior to moving in with us, Gomez and Morticia lived indoors. A neighbor gave them to us rather abruptly one Saturday afternoon -- he said he couldn't keep them anymore. We were and are totally newbies to torts and believed him when he said they'd have no trouble adapting to life outdoors 24/7. They didn't for the most part, but after a few chilly, damp nights began yawning a lot. On the advice of folks on the forum we've begun bringing them in at night until summer heats up. They're 3 and 5 and still pretty small.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Why have you started bringing them in? We've been having pretty nice weather and the night temps here are in the 50's. I've been leaving mine out 24/7.

When you pick him up do you support his whole body? It might help if you carry him in some sort of container and not fly him through the air in your hand.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was going to ask the same thing as Yvonne. If the weather is nice enough to leave them outside, that is really the best for a healthy, happy tort.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I started bringing them in on Tom's advice -- he said it was still too cool at night for a couple of juveniles who had been living indoors 24/7.

I'm happy to leave them out, but thought I was doing the right thing for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.