Will ladybugs hurt my hatchling Hermann's?

Loohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-Central Arkansas
We get them here also, any light or sun on white wall and they just all group up, box elders also but they are noticeably different as I get those (also attracted to white/light)
They aren't real lady bugs; I always called them japanese beetles; I have 1500 ladybugs I purchased in basement (remove aphids as I grow dandelions and other food for my tortoise during Winter) never was bitten by a ladybug but the fake ones have hit me on a few times. they wreck vacuums with the smell they "spit" so don't do that.

I will look more closely next time i see a mess. Yes, they accumulate most on the outbuilding most exposed to the sun. It has light grey paint. I don't see them on the north side of the bldg.
Japanese beetles are, of course, still another very different species.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Yep I was wrong the "Lady Beetles " bite (I have 3000 Lady Bugs in house right know to control aphids as I grow for family and tortoise (indoor as it already was -7F)) Lady bugs if hungry like raisins I soak mine so they are wet also and have sponges. Japanese beetles tore up my hops this year (gleaming green beetle) Bad this year and I can't use insecticides as Gamera's food is in close proximity. DE doesn't seem to kill many but I tried to wash it all off so the ladybugs could do their thing. put a light at the far end of a sticky trap and beetles and other pests will almost all be stuck in it every night. DE will deworm or kill any parasite. always in water, never breath the powder or allow tortoise to breath it. (sorry for the rant)

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, but it stops working when it gets wet.
Thank you so much for clarification. It seemed to be working for the first week and then I noticed under the dishes that they seemed to be thriving again.

fancydeer

ky
Ugh yeah we definitely have the Asian variety here. In Eastern Ky its a nightmare every year pretty much. I always assumed they were just run of the mill ladybugs but you guys are right. Not normal ladybugs! I also was *super lucky* and managed to get a contaminated bag of top soil so now I have fungus gnats too! luckily they're contained to my room where my tortoise enclosure is and not throughout the house like my Asian lady beetle problem.

I'll have to order some diatomaceous earth and treat my tortoise substrate with it. These gnats are killing me. Still not sure how to target the "lady bugs" specifically.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Ugh yeah we definitely have the Asian variety here. In Eastern Ky its a nightmare every year pretty much. I always assumed they were just run of the mill ladybugs but you guys are right. Not normal ladybugs! I also was *super lucky* and managed to get a contaminated bag of top soil so now I have fungus gnats too! luckily they're contained to my room where my tortoise enclosure is and not throughout the house like my Asian lady beetle problem.

I'll have to order some diatomaceous earth and treat my tortoise substrate with it. These gnats are killing me. Still not sure how to target the "lady bugs" specifically.

In the summer i get some kind of gnats or fruit flies around the enclosures and my sink. I keep next to the sink and each enclosure an open pill bottle with some apple cider vinegar in it.

How to Use Vinegar to Get Rid of Fungus Gnats

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
a bright light in a white room during the night will get them all in one room after a few hours (at least quite a few) , if it is an upwards facing "funnel \_/" light use a real filament bulb or old tortoise bulb and it will dehydrate them as they are attracted to it. just like a horde they follow the sun or a bright light. they make a vacuum stink though...