Will my lighting work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, Alberta
Zoo Med Power Sun 100 Watt (still have to buy)
Exo Terra Ceramic Heat Emitter 100W
Exo Terra Intense Basking 75W

For a 5x2 enclosure.

I was going to use a Exo Terra Repti-Glo UVB 13W instead of the Zoo Med Power sun because of people's comments.

Here's a current picture:
Middle is the Repti Glo 10.0 UVB compact (should I just do the mvb...:( )
Over rocks intense 75 w bask
Other side 100w heat emitter

I just want my tortoise to live a happy long healthy life and there is so much controversy on what to use and what not to.

My tortoise will be taken outside , Repti Glo is not faced where his eyes will be, I have d3 supplements and he'll be near a window.

image-1491858842.png

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
First of all, what species of tortoises do you have?

Secondly, I would ditch the compact florescent because it has been proven to cause blindness in tortoises.
-----
Being near a window is irrelevant because most window glass is specifically designed to filter out UV rays. However, if he is getting regular outside time, it is arguable that you even need artificial UVB lighting while he is indoors.

For my set-up, I keep a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on 24/7 to keep the temps mostly contant. For UVB, I have a Repti-Glo 5.0 20" tube florescent fixture.

As far as temperatures go, you basically want to get FOUR different readings:
- daytime ambient
- nighttime ambient
- basking spot (hottest spot in the habitat, likely below the most powerful heat lamp)
- cool area (coldest area of the habitat).

Get a temperature gun for this (IMHO, an essential tool for any reptile keeper).

I don't know what species of tortoise you have so I wouldn't know what to suggest. But in general, you will likely have to provide an additional basking lamp for such a large enclosure. Using your temp gun will help you acheive the proper temperatures.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
StudentoftheReptile said:
First of all, what species of tortoises do you have?

Secondly, I would ditch the compact florescent because it has been proven to cause blindness in tortoises.
-----
Being near a window is irrelevant because most window glass is specifically designed to filter out UV rays. However, if he is getting regular outside time, it is arguable that you even need artificial UVB lighting while he is indoors.

For my set-up, I keep a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on 24/7 to keep the temps mostly contant. For UVB, I have a Repti-Glo 5.0 20" tube florescent fixture.

As far as temperatures go, you basically want to get FOUR different readings:
- daytime ambient
- nighttime ambient
- basking spot (hottest spot in the habitat, likely below the most powerful heat lamp)
- cool area (coldest area of the habitat).

Get a temperature gun for this (IMHO, an essential tool for any reptile keeper).

I don't know what species of tortoise you have so I wouldn't know what to suggest. But in general, you will likely have to provide an additional basking lamp for such a large enclosure. Using your temp gun will help you acheive the proper temperatures.

What he said :)

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
Oh no my temps are fine, it's just the UVB I'm wondering about. I'm planning on getting a western hermann's tortoise in August. Hopefully at the Canadian reptile expo. I have got humidity right and temps right, but with one of my mvb bulbs exploding I switched to compact. I read compact is garbage and will blind torts ... So why do they sell them.
I emailed Exoterra themselves I hope they have a more logical answer.

I guess some better question are: Is there anyway to use the Repti-Glo 10.0 UVB compact so it does not blind a tort? Why is it blinding tortoises? Are people misusing them?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
cjcantelon said:
I read compact is garbage and will blind torts ... So why do they sell them.

The same reason Lee still sells those stupid kidney-shaped turtle lagoons and everyone still sells heat rocks: ignorant people still buy them.

I guess some better question are: Is there anyway to use the Repti-Glo 10.0 UVB compact so it does not blind a tort? Why is it blinding tortoises? Are people misusing them?

Well, for starters, those types of bulbs are designed to be mounted horizontally, NOT vertically in a dome-like fixture. That's why Exo-Terra and others do sell such fixtures specifically for those CFBs. Something about the UV output, or whatever.

However, many tortoises keepers still claim their tortoises have issues with these bulbs when mounted properly. I think the consensus is that it is simply too intense of a light in too small of a bulb.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
cjcantelon said:
I read compact is garbage and will blind torts ... So why do they sell them.

The same reason Lee still sells those stupid kidney-shaped turtle lagoons and everyone still sells heat rocks: ignorant people still buy them.

Well, for starters, those types of bulbs are designed to be mounted horizontally, NOT vertically in a dome-like fixture. That's why Exo-Terra and others do sell such fixtures specifically for those CFBs. Something about the UV output, or whatever.

However, many tortoises keepers still claim their tortoises have issues with these bulbs when mounted properly. I think the consensus is that it is simply too intense of a light in too small of a bulb.

I found there are a few cases with both tube and compact lighting causing eye damage. Maybe tube is harmful too? I do not have a tortoise yet, but I sure do not want to kill it in the first week.....

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-cases.htm

*** Sadly, I have around 8-10 petstores in my local area and none sell MVB**** EDIT

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I got my MVBs off Amazon. Cheaper.

cjcantelon said:
I found there are a few cases with both tube and compact lighting causing eye damage. Maybe tube is harmful too?

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-cases.htm

Looks like those are all the Zilla brand Desert series (and I can personally attest to those causing blindness, especially the T-8s).

I don't think anyone has had issues with other brands (ZooMed, Exo-Terra), and lower intensities (i.e. 5.0 or below).

I would definitely steer clear of the T-8s.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
Message from hagen :

Dear Mr. Cantelon,

We have just received a response back from our Reptile department. Please read response below:

There have been claims of other manufacturer's bulbs causing some issues. There have also been claims of every other type of UVB bulb from other manufacturers causing similar issues (T-10, T-8, LED, T-5, Mercury Vapor, etc). This is often caused by exaggerated claims of high UVB ratings (e.g. UVB readings which are far too high and dangerous for reptiles). We take great care in making sure our products are safe and calibrated properly to avoid potential harm to reptiles and amphibians. This enclosure is far too large for a single 13wt Repti Glo 10.0. The UVB will be ineffective. I suggest using our linear Repti Glo 10.0s instead. Generally for animals that only explore floor space a bulb that spans the length of the enclosure is recommended.

Sincerely,

Mary Morgan
Représentante des consommateurs
Customer Service Coordinator
Rolf C. Hagen Inc.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It is worth getting a reflector to direct the light if you buy a tube UVB.

I used a 5% last winter with a reflector to ensure the maximum amount went downwards.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
JoesMum said:
It is worth getting a reflector to direct the light if you buy a tube UVB.

I used a 5% last winter with a reflector to ensure the maximum amount went downwards.

Thank you for the help josemum do you have any recommendations on fixtures or reflectors for Repti Glo tube bulb and for a 5 Foot enclosure should I use 1 long tube or two short? I apologize for all the nuisance nuisance questions.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
Thank you for your help everyone. I bought tubes: a Repti Glo 5.0 and a 10., both 15w 18" , one for basking side one for: food, water, heated, shelter, ect. side.

Now I am having trouble finding a height needed for mounting above a western Hermann's tortoise. Is there a recommended height?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Which is why Exo-Terra and Zoo-med specifically say that the lamps can be mounted either way?

Or whatever.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
A lot of keepers in UK use the tube lights (long, different than the compact coil bulbs which are an issue), and then one more more basking lights. I think the height of the basking light is determined by temps right underneath and on the tort's shell when you get him.
Plain basking lights can be mounted at an angle, they are just regular light bulbs (it is the MVB bulbs that must be set to beam straight down).
So if you get the MVB bulb, be sure to set it shining straight down.

Some owners in the Northern US (torts inside in winter) just use regular incandescent bulbs, relying on UVB from the sun in the summer months.
Another keeper uses the fluorescent tube light to increase UV in the winter to make the enclosure brighter, along with an MVB for focal heat and UVB over the basking area.
So there are several ways to get this done.
If your tort will be outside in the summer, that will make up a lot of UVB, the best kind.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
lynnedit said:
A lot of keepers in UK use the tube lights (long, different than the compact coil bulbs which are an issue), and then one more more basking lights. I think the height of the basking light is determined by temps right underneath and on the tort's shell when you get him.
Plain basking lights can be mounted at an angle, they are just regular light bulbs (it is the MVB bulbs that must be set to beam straight down).
So if you get the MVB bulb, be sure to set it shining straight down.

Some owners in the Northern US (torts inside in winter) just use regular incandescent bulbs, relying on UVB from the sun in the summer months.
Another keeper uses the fluorescent tube light to increase UV in the winter to make the enclosure brighter, along with an MVB for focal heat and UVB over the basking area.
So there are several ways to get this done.
If your tort will be outside in the summer, that will make up a lot of UVB, the best kind.

Thank you :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.