Will my Russian tortoise hibernate in Florida?

Russian Tortilla

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I live in SWFL and we’re known for the vast humidity. I got my Russian tortoise for almost 2 months now so we haven’t had a winter together. Because of the heat I wanted to know if she will hibernate down here and how to prepare for that if she might.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hard to say. I received a whole flock of Russians from a gal in the San Diego area because they wouldn't hibernate and she felt it wasn't healthy for them. I really don't see the problem. Hibernation, or rather, brumation, is just a vehicle tortoises use to get through a long, cold period of bad weather and little food. If it's not cold and food is provided, I see no reason for brumation.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Hard to say. I received a whole flock of Russians from a gal in the San Diego area because they wouldn't hibernate and she felt it wasn't healthy for them. I really don't see the problem. Hibernation, or rather, brumation, is just a vehicle tortoises use to get through a long, cold period of bad weather and little food. If it's not cold and food is provided, I see no reason for brumation.

@Yvonne G

Have you seen any differences between those who brumate vs those who don't? Especially regarding overall health and mating.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Yvonne G

Have you seen any differences between those who brumate vs those who don't? Especially regarding overall health and mating.
Nope, not a bit as far as health is concerned. I've overwintered box turtles, but their yard is so big and there are so many in there I would have no way of knowing if it interfered with breeding. I've kept a female desert tortoise up for the past 5 winters, but it's against the law to breed them, so have no idea if it interfered with breeding. But healthwise, they're all fine.