Will my tortoise have fertile eggs?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I was looking up a few things about tortoise eggs... and I need some advice. I have a female Russian tortoise that just reached the 6" mark. I've had her for one year, and I'm not sure if she's ever been with a male before.
If she were to lay eggs this year, should I incubate the eggs? Or is it impossible that the eggs would be fertile, and I should just get rid of them? If there is any chance of having little baby torts, I'm all in! Thanks!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
From what I understand, it is possible for a female to keep viable sperm inside for YEARS. So, yes, it would be possible if she was ever with a male.
However, I don't know enough about Russians to say if a six incher is old enough to lay.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Really?? That's great!! I hope she has eggs sometime! Thank you! I'm a dreamer. ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Very often, a female tortoise just reaching breeding size, will not lay eggs. Most of them don't lay eggs unless they've been with a male. There are exceptions to the rule, and there are some females that lay eggs every year never having been with a male, but usually they don't lay eggs like chickens do.