Will someone please talk me into or out of buying an Indian star tortoise?

XanaZoo

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
I'm planning to get a tortoise. My top picks are Hermann's tortoise, Indian star, cherry head, Burmese star, and radiated tortoise. Maybe an eastern box turtle.

I'm really set on buying from tortstork because I think raising one from the egg will be magical. Has anyone tried to get a different breeder to ship an egg?

Tortstork doesn't sell Burmese stars and they would be a better choice. I always live in hot places and I want to move closer to the equator the older I get. I plan to hand feed and work hard to tame my tortoise from day one.

Indian stars are supposed to be shy and delicate, maybe not the best turtle friend. I'm hoping that after the first few years of life they would be more hardy and durable, but I don't know about that.

I don't plan on being a collector, I just want one tortoise. Stars are social and I wonder that would be a waste for me to just have one.

I love their look, size, the fact that they don't burrow or brumate, and that they don't chase around their keepers like testudo species. Also they're supposedly more chill and sedentary.

I've kept basking turtles, a snapper, an iguana, a beardie, a variety of boas and pythons, and a variety of toads and frogs, but never a tortoise.

I've been researching for months and trying to make up my mind. Please send help, I'm in over my head with choices. Can someone please talk me into or out of this species?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
From my experience keeping and breeding Cherryheads, Burmese stars, and Indian/ Sri Lankan stars is that they are all good candidates. I personally don’t consider any of them delicate if set up correctly. Burmese stars are able to handle cooler temps better then the other stars though. Cherryheads are more of a tropical species and their diet does allow for more options to feed. My favorite is still the Sri Lankan star. They tend to have the reputation that they are a shy species but that’s not what I have experienced from my animals. Perhaps they get this reputation if not set up correctly or not in a thriving environment.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As you said, shy and delicate. Not a good candidate for being uprooted and travel around the world periodically.

Stars aren't social. Stars simply tolerate other stars well. There is a difference. They don't want or need company, but they usually don't get aggressive and territorial if they have company. Also, you will be their company.

Cherry head could work, but they really do need warm humid climates. Better for FL than CA. Radiata get too big for what you are doing. A box turtle or a hermanni will both want to hibernate. You would have to fight that annually, or allow it and facilitate it.

Which brings us back to the platynota. No hibernation, not shy, not delicate, adaptable to most any climate with little help, not too big, easy to feed and personable. Pancakes are good too, but those are really hit or miss on the personality. Some are shy and some are not.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I would make sure you have to proper room for any of these tortoises that you like. Also the proper diet needed. Read the care sheets on each on to help you. I have a wonderful leopard and a cute Eastern Hermann (rescued). My leopard is very social my Hermann is getting better. Good luck. Please post pictures once you get one. Also better to ask questions before you get one. Welcome to the forum.

Citron Elegans

PA
I actually have my three sri lankan stars from Tortstork, I went to his house and picked them up as at the time I was a local. I love them all so much, but I must say that one (who is now the biggest) did have a respiratory illness that we had to battle through when he was younger. Also, the parents have some extreme pyramiding and mine (even when given the choice to be in any type of microclimate you can imagine) are starting to exhibit signs of pyramiding as well. I know this is one of the few tortoises that pyramid even in nature, but I'm still trying to make it as little as possible obviously. They definitely do better in a closed habitat their first few years. As to their personality, I have one that is very shy, one that is kind of aggressive in behavior (not biting but just doing whatever he wants whenever he feels like it, not caring who or whats in the way, very fun to watch) and third is super nice and even lets us pet under his neck.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I actually have my three sri lankan stars from Tortstork, I went to his house and picked them up as at the time I was a local. I love them all so much, but I must say that one (who is now the biggest) did have a respiratory illness that we had to battle through when he was younger. Also, the parents have some extreme pyramiding and mine (even when given the choice to be in any type of microclimate you can imagine) are starting to exhibit signs of pyramiding as well. I know this is one of the few tortoises that pyramid even in nature, but I'm still trying to make it as little as possible obviously. They definitely do better in a closed habitat their first few years. As to their personality, I have one that is very shy, one that is kind of aggressive in behavior (not biting but just doing whatever he wants whenever he feels like it, not caring who or whats in the way, very fun to watch) and third is super nice and even lets us pet under his neck.
Hopefully a moderator can move your questions to it's own thread. @wellington or @Yvonne G . This way someone should be able to help you.

Leah1234

UK
I'm planning to get a tortoise. My top picks are Hermann's tortoise, Indian star, cherry head, Burmese star, and radiated tortoise. Maybe an eastern box turtle.

I'm really set on buying from tortstork because I think raising one from the egg will be magical. Has anyone tried to get a different breeder to ship an egg?

Tortstork doesn't sell Burmese stars and they would be a better choice. I always live in hot places and I want to move closer to the equator the older I get. I plan to hand feed and work hard to tame my tortoise from day one.

Indian stars are supposed to be shy and delicate, maybe not the best turtle friend. I'm hoping that after the first few years of life they would be more hardy and durable, but I don't know about that.

I don't plan on being a collector, I just want one tortoise. Stars are social and I wonder that would be a waste for me to just have one.

I love their look, size, the fact that they don't burrow or brumate, and that they don't chase around their keepers like testudo species. Also they're supposedly more chill and sedentary.

I've kept basking turtles, a snapper, an iguana, a beardie, a variety of boas and pythons, and a variety of toads and frogs, but never a tortoise.

I've been researching for months and trying to make up my mind. Please send help, I'm in over my head with choices. Can someone please talk me into or out of this species?
I bought a Hermann’s tortoise and called it Shelly! Shelly (not sure whether it’s a he/ she, so adopted she) is a great nosy little tortoise, I have found her in small cracks, so putting up a barrier is a good idea! She enjoys sunbathing and has recently started to climb boxes. She’s just like a baby but without the wailing sounds. She’s inquisitive and likes to slide down things. I turn the bulbs on, have my breakfast, sort her food out and then let her flop out. I highly recommend having a Hermann’s tortoise- she makes me very happy!