Will someone with a leopard tortosie with no pyramiding post a picture?

haydog_99

Location (City and/or State)
Rocklin, CA
Torque was 54 grams!! And is now about 15lbs! The kitchen scale we were using went up to like 10lbs and then wouldn’t work anymore so we started using a bathroom scale...not too sure how accurate that is but I can bet 15lbs is about right
Thanks, that makes me feel better. Ever since I got him everyone has been making comments about how small he is and he probably has issues. I’ve read that their growth rates can be dramatically different. If Torque was 54 at one year and now is a healthy full grown adult I feel much better. Thanks!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Please

please expand. I’ve seen a bunch of examples of leopard tortoises growing at very different rates. He seems to be doing fine he’s eating well, drinking, very active and most of all gaining weight. I started weighing him on February 28th and he was 84 grams. He’s gained 8 grams in 14 days, should I be concerned? I would be more worried if he wasn’t gaining weight. He will be one year on 4/30, according to the Breeder.
84g at 10 months indicates a tortoise that has not been in the best of conditions, and probably not started well by the breeder. I would be very concerned, and never buy a tortoise at 54g at 1 year old as that would just indicate too much of a struggle it's first year. With great care, some start growing and take off, but many do not. You do see tortoises that vary dramatically in growth rates, as most are not given optimal conditions and diet. Your tortoise is also showing moderate to major pyramiding which if it continued that way would end up very severe pyramiding.

8g in 14 days (9% gain) is good. A well started hatchling will gain 50-100% of their weight in the first month and triple their hatch weight in the first 2 months. The % rate will slow as they increase size, but I like to see them gain 10% - 15% a month after the 6 month mark. It will be more the first few months and then slow as size increases, but that is the average I look for by the end of the first year. Looks like the changes you have made in care is benefiting the tortoise and Torque is lucky to now be with you. Follow the advice you find here on this forum and you will see Torque continue to improve.

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
84g at 10 months indicates a tortoise that has not been in the best of conditions, and probably not started well by the breeder. I would be very concerned, and never buy a tortoise at 54g at 1 year old as that would just indicate too much of a struggle it's first year. With great care, some start growing and take off, but many do not. You do see tortoises that vary dramatically in growth rates, as most are not given optimal conditions and diet. Your tortoise is also showing moderate to major pyramiding which if it continued that way would end up very severe pyramiding.

8g in 14 days (9% gain) is good. A well started hatchling will gain 50-100% of their weight in the first month and triple their hatch weight in the first 2 months. The % rate will slow as they increase size, but I like to see them gain 10% - 15% a month after the 6 month mark. It will be more the first few months and then slow as size increases, but that is the average I look for by the end of the first year. Looks like the changes you have made in care is benefiting the tortoise and Torque is lucky to now be with you. Follow the advice you find here on this forum and you will see Torque continue to improve.
It is what it is now. All I can do is try and get him on track. When you order a Tortoise on line you are taking a shot in the dark. It would be very helpful if there was a list of breeders/sites that are known to raise their baby’s the right way, it would go a long way to avoid these situations.

Jenna kamenski

South Carolina
Thanks, that makes me feel better. Ever since I got him everyone has been making comments about how small he is and he probably has issues. I’ve read that their growth rates can be dramatically different. If Torque was 54 at one year and now is a healthy full grown adult I feel much better. Thanks!
No What I meant was torque was 54 grams when we first got him/her, torque was like a month or two months old at that point - they do grow at different rates and torque is the larger breed of leos, a PP...now if yours has issues is beyond me and the people on this forum has a lot of knowledge over these tortoises so you should definitely listen to what they are saying...at 1 years old torque was about 5lbs

Jenna kamenski

South Carolina

Torque is completely fine, a huge piggie and gains weight with no problem...I guess there was a miscommunication error on my part so my bad! What I meant to say was torque was 54g when we first got him/her and torque was about a month to 2 months old and at 1 torque was about 5lbs...I got torque from Tom so I know torque was started off the right way

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
No What I meant was torque was 54 grams when we first got him/her, torque was like a month or two months old at that point - they do grow at different rates and torque is the larger breed of leos, a PP...now if yours has issues is beyond me and the people on this forum has a lot of knowledge over these tortoises so you should definitely listen to what they are saying...at 1 years old torque was about 5lbs
Jenna, sorry I must have reponded
jenna, I hope you didn’t think I was referring to you in my last comment. I was referring to Marks comment.

1289Gabe

San Diego California
I have a baby leopard that looks a little like that. Is he pyramiding? If he is, how should I treat it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Ok. What are some other options? What should I do about it?
There are lots of ways to go about a closed chamber I would search closed chamber on the forum and see what others have done and what option looks like it will work for you. The main thing is you need a cage that will hold humidity and not continually dry the little guy out. With the humidity he will need to be worm all the time as well the whole cage should be 80f day and night with a basking spot during the day to about 100f. There are great care sheets in the leopard specific page that go into more detail on these ideas.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
At the top of this page where is says
Leopard tortoises
Click that and it will take you there the stickys at the top of that page are full of are full of good info I particularly like toms how to raise a health leopard tortoise thread

gedong

Jakarta
Here is one of my leopard, not sure with the sexing

its 635gr at 16cm, is it normal?

Attachments

• Pardalis 2.jpeg
    Pardalis 2.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 36