Will this dual table work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flkustom

5 Year Member
I am looking to make a table for my new red foot tortoises in the next couple of weeks, one is around a 5" shell and the other is just a tot (2-3inch shell) and there is another tot on the way.

Right now I have the bigger one in a 55 gallon rubbermaid, and the baby in a smaller rubbermaid. I want to build a table that will keep the bigger tortoise and the babies apart, but in time can be united. I also want to utilize one shared mercury vapor light, and thus eliminate the need for for quite so many fixtures.

This is what I have come up with, please note the multiple "basking" lights are undecided upon and may end up being just a UVB on the babies side depending on how much light I have. Also the positioning of the lights are just a generalization and not a set in stone figure

tableplans2.jpg

The table will be 7ft by 3ft as that is what space I have available, 4ft for the adult and 3ft for the babies. That will give both of them a foot longer than they have now and well over a foot and a half wider than they have currently.

I will integrate plexiglass towards the top of the walls so that I can see them better and have a better material to keep sprayed, the divider will be removable so that there can be monitored "hang out" time between the two crowds

The table will be built as one piece and the legs/stand another so that they can be easily removed as my door is quite narrow

I will build shelving into the table as well to hold supplies.

Also considering making a webcam stand so that when I am at work I can keep an eye on the buggers! lol

let me know what you think

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When I have to bring in my baby habitats for the winter, I make use of one light for two habitats. I place the light stand between the two habitats and then push them right up against each other.

I see no reason why your design wouldn't work.

flkustom

5 Year Member
thank you for your input Emysemys,

I'm glad to know that because it really would cut down on costs and over head space just having one mercury light

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I saw another post a few months ago where someone combined one MVB for two tables and it worked well, good idea.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I use one lamp for two tables... it seems to work fine to me. I was also seeing somewhere about how the rays on the side of the lamps are usually the strongest in terms of uvb but each lamp can be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.