Wilson the Tort

CJW

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hi there,
I've been searching this forum for years for advice and ideas. I don't know why I haven't posted sooner.
We got Wilson, AKA "Willy" about 5 years ago. At the time we were searching for a dog and I came across a lady rehoming 4 dogs and tortoise on craigslist. I went there to look at the dogs, but then I saw this sweet little tortoise sitting on the floor in the corner. I knew NOTHING about tortoises, but i knew he didn't look happy. She knew squat about him- she said he was full grown, didn't need heat lamps, and hibernated all winter. At that time- he was a 20lb sulcata, that was just malnourished and lethargic.
Long story short, I brought him home :<3::tort::) he didn't eat or poo for about a month and a half, and we had to give him antibiotic injections for weeks. But the tough little fella bounced back. He now weighs around 85lbs (full grown my a**) and we love him!! He has some slight shell pyramiding from his rough years, but overall he's a healthy boy.
Right now we are trying to figure out how to keep him. . . we need to move, but can't bear to sell him. So hopefully we can figure out a temporary home for him or something. I'm sure it will all work out.

Anyways- thank you for being a great resource for us trying to navigate tortoise parenthood ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome the Forum!

Hopefully you can find someone to foster Willy until you can take him back. My sister @maggie18fan is in Corvallis, but with two or three sulcatas of her own, I know she doesn't have the space to help you, but maybe she knows someone who does.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Great rescue and story. I am waiting for that mistreated tort to come into my life. I can't go into pet stores because I want to buy all the torts they have. Hope everything works out for you

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Why can't you take him with you? If it comes down to it and you've tried everything else, I can move mine around and he can live in the tort shed heated and insulated, with an outside pen. A temporary thing. I'm outside of Corvallis. Let me know.

CJW

Oregon
Why can't you take him with you? If it comes down to it and you've tried everything else, I can move mine around and he can live in the tort shed heated and insulated, with an outside pen. A temporary thing. I'm outside of Corvallis. Let me know.

Wow, thank you for the offer! We are still trying to make it work to bring him with us. I will let you know if it comes down to it.