Winston’s first home

aqualungs

Location (City and/or State)
Perry, OH
I’ve been struggling the past cold nights keeping the “cool” side 77 and above and have been worried about mold. This morning I noticed some on one of the pots and pulled it out. I spot checked for any mold and didn’t see any more in the enclosure or in the bedding. I took the off the canopy and added a 60 watt CHE on a Rheostat until I order another Thermostat. I have it set at 81 for now. I also received my two other temp/humidity gauges so things will be easier to monitor.
I’m still designing the canopy so I can get rid of the plastic greenhouse dome. Would like some easier viewing, and hopefully will start construction soon. I’m debating slant front door for some overhead viewing, or going easier and doing front glass doors on E-tracks... Also debating on doing radiant heat panels for easier clearance and safer. I sent an email over to Pro-Products for some advice. The canopy will be 16-18” tall so it will, so with another 9” to the substrate I’m not sure if it will be effective. A lot ti=o think about, research, and ponder.. any thoughts would be helpful, thanks!
IMG_2050.jpg
Rough sketch of canopy design. Two front doors that lift up and out of the way.
IMG_0005.jpg

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Added Live Wheatgrass to the enclosure. Can to see him rummage through and eat it. Worth it. IMG_2093.jpg

ayrgrn

UK
This is great! I love how you have continued to update this thread with all the improvements you've made! I've been struggling with a little bit of pyramiding with my baby Hermanns as I've made the mistake not getting a humid hide and disregarding humidity levels as he is a desert species. But I love this green house idea and am going to look into it more! What substrate is that?

aqualungs

Perry, OH
This is great! I love how you have continued to update this thread with all the improvements you've made! I've been struggling with a little bit of pyramiding with my baby Hermanns as I've made the mistake not getting a humid hide and disregarding humidity levels as he is a desert species. But I love this green house idea and am going to look into it more! What substrate is that?

Using coco coir and then a layer orchid fir bark we use for our orchids on top. It is fir bark, and pest free.

ayrgrn

UK
Using coco coir and then a layer orchid fir bark we use for our orchids on top. It is fir bark, and pest free.
Ahh okay.
You probably already know this but if you want to work out the length of the slanted side of the canopy/height of lid it would be √(18^2)+(8^2) which is 19.7" :)

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Ahh okay.
You probably already know this but if you want to work out the length of the slanted side of the canopy/height of lid it would be √(18^2)+(8^2) which is 19.7" :)

Haha yes thank you! I had to google it. Glad I googled right!

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Well it’s been about a month and today was the first day I noticed Winston readily out of hiding and warming up. Misting the cooler side, and then to the warmer side there he was. Of course he got a soak shortly after as he does everyday. IMG_2162.jpg57487750566__7F346B56-958D-41B4-8C34-2EF9221B68D2.jpg
He ate his lunch and later onto munching his wheatgrass. I have a nice seed mix on the way. Can’t wait to get that started. I added seed grown nasturtiums and an outdoor hisbiscus cutting. IMG_2166.jpgIMG_2165.jpg
I have pansies, petunias, and snapdragons sprouted. Those will go in soon. Also have a nice lettuce mix growing under window and artificial light.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Almost finished with the top portion Winston’s palace. After contemplating the staying power of this enclosure, I decided to line the interior with pond armor. Glad I did because-there was a bit of standing water from Condensation dripping behind the shower curtain liner. I had to resurface and scrape out the silicone in the seams. What a kuffufel. Almost there. I have cast acrylic viewing panels and an 80 watt VE heat panel to install and it’s go time. IMG_2225.jpgIMG_2226.jpgIMG_2223.jpgIMG_2235.jpgIMG_2237.jpg

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Aw man my back went out a few times this past week and is still pretty wrecked. I’m finishing up today and will have help moving the new enclosure. I’ll have pics up later and will probably start a new thread.
I am going to design an outdoor enclosure so he can enjoy sunshine and fresh air, but will be safe from predators.