Winston sulcata tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

winston

5 Year Member
Hi all I have just brought Winston and I am new to this and are unsure how long I leave the heat lamp and heat mat on for??? If anyone can help that would be great

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
winston said:
Hi all I have just brought Winston and I am new to this and are unsure how long I leave the heat lamp and heat mat on for??? If anyone can help that would be great

I personally don't have a heat mat, but i do have an MVB bulb that supplies heat and uvb and i keep it on 12 hours a day.

I'm sure someone will respond that knows about the heat mat.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
From what I know heat mats aren't great. Try and use a heat bulb instead or if problems with heat at night use a CHE. Bulbs shoul be on for 10-12 hours a day.

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't use heat mats on any small tortoises. My big Sulcata is the only one to rate a pig blanket (heat mat) and in his case it is on 24/7. I use black light bulbs for heat. In Bob's case he has a DeLonghi type heater that keeps the ambient temp in his shed
between 80 and 85 degrees. The basking area is 95 to 100 degrees. I was taught that most baby chelonia aren't smart enough to get off the heat mat if it becomes too hot.
however, I have never seen it that way.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...i also use CHE (ceramic heating emitter). I keep it on 12 hrs.... If you click the threads below my signature there is info on temps and humidity...

Status
Not open for further replies.