Winter Enclosure Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjwrnglr

5 Year Member
Here in Houston, our winter doesn't last too long, but I've decided to build a winter home for my new Sulcatas. Gotta finish it pretty quick because the days will soon get cold.

I've looked at the doghouses you can find at Lowe's and PetsMart, but I think I can spend almost as much and build it 10x better and stronger.

Plans are:

-3'x4'
-durable, removable, and replaceable floor due to urine and poop.
-insulation board lining the interior
-removable roof
-low profile space heater or stanfield heat pad with thermostat
-door which will serve as a ramp
-cedar fencing boards for siding

1.jpg

2.jpg

Stay tuned for updates:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Very fun...and I agree, if you are the handy sort...building your own tortoise hut is much better and can be customized at the same time...look forward to updates....as I was scrolling I was so totally expecting to see a tortoise inset in the pic.....LOL :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
looks like a nice plan. make you own and you can get the size you want. post pics when you have it done1

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
That looks great, generally the home made opposed to store bought is much better because you can customize it. Your plan looks good. What Im wondering is how you made that neato drawing of it on the computer? :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Looks like a good plan, also doing it yourself gives you flexibility to make changes if you want...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks pretty good. Be sure to keep us in the loop as you complete it. Just curious...what is a "TJ" wrangler? and may we know your name?

babylove6635

5 Year Member
THAT IS REALLY NICE. JUST COURIOUS WILL IT BE BIG ENOUGH FOR WHEN HE IS FULL GROWN OR DO YOU PLAN ON MAKING A BIGGER ONE LATTER? OR IS HE FULL GROWN?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
And will you cover the insulation board with something to protect it, at least around the base?
See, we have so many questions! :rolleyes:

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Great idea! I think it will look really nice. Looking forward to seeing the pics:D

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Those are some truly beautiful plans! Good luck w/the build. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like when it's complete! :)

tjwrnglr

5 Year Member
jrcrist4 said:
That looks great, generally the home made opposed to store bought is much better because you can customize it. Your plan looks good. What Im wondering is how you made that neato drawing of it on the computer? :)

3D Studio Max.-3D animation and modeling software I work with on a daily basis

emysemys said:
Looks pretty good. Be sure to keep us in the loop as you complete it. Just curious...what is a "TJ" wrangler? and may we know your name?

The name is Gabe
"TJ" is the code name given to 1997-2006 Jeep Wranglers. Hence the name: tjwrnglr. I am a Jeep/off-road enthusiast.

lynnedit said:
And will you cover the insulation board with something to protect it, at least around the base?
See, we have so many questions! :rolleyes:

I will see how they do in regards to tearing up the board. If they begin to tear it up, I plan to cover it with a thin sheet of soffit board.

babylove6635 said:
THAT IS REALLY NICE. JUST COURIOUS WILL IT BE BIG ENOUGH FOR WHEN HE IS FULL GROWN OR DO YOU PLAN ON MAKING A BIGGER ONE LATTER? OR IS HE FULL GROWN?

This ought to house my two 6 year-olds comfortably for the next few years. The door can always be widened or I can easliy make another one if I buy more torts.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I have that thermostat. I highly recommend it. I use it with a basking light (not MVB).
I have heard good things about that heat pad, good for smaller torts than the pig mats.
I have a small cold frame, about 4'Lx2'Lx20"H and for background heat, I use:
http://www.houndheater.com/index_hound_heater.php
Made for dog houses, so OK to be outside. Built in thermostat, heavy duty cord.
It has worked extremely well.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Good looking drawing, I look forward to seeing the final product, good to see some Houston peeps on here.

tjwrnglr

5 Year Member
Doing the roof and some more painting tomorrow.

DSCN2446.jpg

DSCN2445.jpg

DSCN2451.jpg

DSCN2448.jpg

DSCN2453.jpg

testing the stain color
DSCN2449.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a word of caution...Sulcatas dig and dig and dig, just before settling down for the night. Your Styrofoam insulation won't last one night unless you protect it.

tjwrnglr

5 Year Member
Update:
DSCN2525.jpg

DSCN2524.jpg

DSCN2522.jpg

DSCN2521.jpg

I lined the inside with more cedar boards to protect the insulation board. I also received the 2 ZooMed heat pads and I think I'm going to have to work something else out because they get way too hot and the thermostat probe will be hard to keep in place with the torts walking all over it. just sitting there without a thermostat, they reach 100 degrees!

What I'll probably do is mount them vertically along the back wall to also warm up the air inside instead of having them possibly burn their bellies. This way I can attach the thermostat probe up high and keep it out of the way. This could help eliminate the need for a CHE.

These pads are super strong and sturdy. The cord is super thick and looks like it will stand up to being outdoors. Very well made, look nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.