WINTER enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
All of the redfoots are kept in a 12' x 20' building when the weather dictates.

Nothing at all fancy for them.. in fact you may think they need something else in their enclosure.

ALL of the tables are 32" wide. A 4' x 8' (96") "plywood/OSB" panel when cut @ 32" will give you three 32" x 4' panels. So with ONE 4' x 8' panel you can build a table 32" x 12'!

Three of the 4 tables in my building are built against the walls.. so 32" is a good width that can (almost?) be reached as long as the walls aren't too high and the table isn't too far off the floor.

I took all of these pics earlier today.. I'm starting with the JUVY ('07-'08's) table first.. I'll get the others posted as we go. These little guys are all in the 4" - 6"+ range -

Looking from the dark end of this 7 1/2' enclosure -

JUVYend.jpg

Lower side.. notice the "hinged" front walls for easier access when needed.. and see the 6" cube ceramic heater on the floor -

JUVYsidebelow.jpg

JUVYsidetop.jpg

From the light/waterdish/feeding end.. you can see how dark on the other end -

JUVYlightend.jpg

ONE 24" flor. tube [ not UVB ] lights the entire enclosure. The JUVY table is built below the K. erosa { Forest hinge-back } enclosure.

Terry K

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I see it as more than acceptable... actually quite nice and functional.

How many years has that specific setup been used? When you go to replace it... don't skimp on the plywood and finish. It'll save you money in the long run.

Seriously nice set up.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Nice! I wish I had a place to do something like that. Even my basement is too cold to afford to heat the needed levels.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Thanks Ed....

Sub-adult/Breeder MALES.. from hide end -

MALEShideend.jpg

Their enclosure is 8' and is on rigid rollers so I can push it away from the JUVY enclosure if need be. The over-head 'light-fixture' supplies the power source for their [ current ] 18" tube which I plan to change to 24" tube ASAP.

Light end -

MALESlightend.jpg

There are a total of 8 males: one 7" & two breeder Northerns.. one 9 1/2" Breeder Brazilian and 7" -8" sub-adult Brazilians -

MALES.jpg

The Alpha Brazilian male has visitation rites this week-end!

Terry K

( Mark replied while I was posting )..... "Remember I've been working on this project since '98 Mark"

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
"( Mark replied while I was posting )..... "Remember I've been working on this project since '98 Mark"

Its obvious that you've put a lot of work into it. If you were starting on it today, is there anything you would do differently?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Madkins007 said:
"( Mark replied while I was posting )..... "Remember I've been working on this project since '98 Mark"

Its obvious that you've put a lot of work into it. If you were starting on it today, is there anything you would do differently?

(Knowing what I know now?).. I would know the importance of humidity first and foremost! No "husbandry-changes"!

The only things different would be "business" choices.

Terry K

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Very nice set up Terry. I love your Redfoots and your little guy standing on top of the big guy is so cute. Everything looks good.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Your tortoises look so lively and healthy. That foreground tort in the first picture looks like he's saying "Hiya, how's it going? You got anything to eat?" Very casual and confident in the presence of the photographer!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
My experience has been.. when things are 'in-order' they come to ya!

( girls coming soon )

Terry K

-EJ said:
I see it as more than acceptable... actually quite nice and functional.

How many years has that specific setup been used? When you go to replace it... don't skimp on the plywood and finish. It'll save you money in the long run.

Seriously nice set up.

Ed the 'basic' set-up parameters have been the same since hatchlings started coming in Feb. '05 -- just a few 'configuration' changes is all.

The JUVY set-up has been in existence since a few months ago when I began "fostering" a number from '08 ( see on the Currently Available page ) and the market virtually dried up recently.. creating a need for space for those normally sold - but not.

NERD

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
The Female table is full-length - 20'. Here you can see the 'hide' which is 4' x 4'.. the small '09 hatchling tub and the single 24" tube ( no UVB ) light -

FEMALESviewhide.jpg

...looking from the hide end you can see my Guyana [ Northern ] SONshine ( right ) with her back to us; she is almost 14" SCL. And you can see left of her one of the Colombian breeders that was raised by the "advice?" of the well-known [ paint-them-all-with-the-same-brush ] "CARE FORUMS".. see her pyramiding! The smaller ones are the '05 'keepers'.. 7" - 8" range.

FEMALEShideend.jpg

There you have it...

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Looks easily maintainable and easily accessable. Thanks for sharing. Nice looking herd.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very nice, Terry. I like that you mounted a paper towell holder on the wall. I have my paper towells laying on the table top, and its pretty inconvenient. Don't know why I didn't think of such an easy solution!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
emysemys said:
Very nice, Terry. I like that you mounted a paper towell holder on the wall. I have my paper towells laying on the table top, and its pretty inconvenient. Don't know why I didn't think of such an easy solution!

Thanks all!

I also got tired of chasing the paper towels around.. so I actually have 4 paper-towel holders within a couple steps of wherever I am in the building.

Lazy and stupid is the "mother of inventions" .. I think that's the way it goes - with me anyway! :rolleyes:

Terry

Matt Turner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Terry,
I am very curious about your indoor egg laying set up. Would you mind posting some pics and walking us through that process? Great setup, by the way! I'm all about function and utility over looks and fluff.

Thanks

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Matt the "nest-box" is simply a 'stand-alone' measuring about 3 feet sq. about 24" deep with not quite a foot of old "potting soil/dirt" mixture.. with a couple inches of cypress on top.

When they start to "scratch-around" in their enclosure I wet the nest box substrate with hot water to create the warm/humid nesting spot for them. Sometimes it takes 3-4 tries until they finally decide to nest.

I'll get pics ASAP...

NERD

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
SONshine is in the nest-box because she was trying to 'dig' her nest in the enclosure I keep all of the females in. Since the cypress in there is only about 3" deep they need a "nest-box".

Here she is from the side view with the 2' strip-light about half-way -

NESTboxside.jpg

I pulled the light fixture toward the end to get this view of the nest-box.. it is actually 3' x 4' -

NESTboxend.jpg

SONshine is from Guyana.. almost 14" SCL and is very heavy. She did very little last year.. and will probly have a great 2010 because she laid a record clutch last month!

These are typical SONshine babies -

1DUO.jpg

From early '09 -

SONshines.jpg

Hope this helps...

NERD

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Nice off spring! How do you manage to get the tile to stick to the plywood?

Status
Not open for further replies.