Winter food for RT in Nebraska

TortugaGirl

What do you Northerners do for your RT's during the winter? Do you freeze or do you dry summer weeds for winter time feeding? Please explain what you do as I am a new RT mommy (have had my baby for 3 months) and this will be my first winter with him. I'm a little worried because he's a pretty picky eater and likes a big crispy crunch when he eats. Thanks in advance! :)

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
Yes, I'm from Michigan. I plan on drying some weeds which can be done easily in a brown paper bag. Then chop the dried weeds and mix in with wet veggies.

Plus they always have those awesome Earthbound Organic Salad mixes in the produce section. :)

Then I also grow my own Tort seed mix in a large container. My reds really like the sprouts.... ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407816497.507343.jpg

And I found organic hibiscus plants for super cheap! I'll feed them that as well. Already communicated with seller, they are safe to feed. They came in the mail, and look great. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331265138516?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
I read an article a few years ago about using pie tins (alluminum) and planting CHEAP bird seed... as cheaper has more weeds.. if you rotate three or four pans you'll always have weeds.. HOWEVER.. you have plenty of time to run through the produce section of the grocery store and find reliable "weed" alternatives