Winter lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
I plan on building an outdoor enclosure if / when I get a tortoise but I keep reading conflicting information on if when you bring them in for the winter they need a UVB bulb or not. I would get a megaray bulb so I have done my research I just can't seem to find this answer. I know if it was an indoor only tortoise they need the UVB

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
This would depend on how much time they got outside during the summer, what species you are working with and what age they are. For instance a sulcata needs more UVB then a redfooted tortoise. A young tortoise needs it more then an older animal.

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
I was thinking a Russian however age I do not know as I will most likely rescue, they will be out all day in the summer and we usually have about 7-8 months they can be outside depending on the year lately we haven't been having real winters ... its January and people can ride motorcycles

Honestly I would LOVE a boxturtle as I have a soft spot for them and I am in the eastern box turtles native range however it seems very unlikely I will be able to find one

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
Don't buy a megaray. Mine lasted ten days and they wouldn't honor their warranty. If it were up to me, the guy would be in jail.

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
Don't buy a megaray. Mine lasted ten days and they wouldn't honor their warranty. If it were up to me, the guy would be in jail.

Oh I had only ever heard good things ... thank you for the warning

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
After looking into it more I for sure want a captive bred so I would probably spend the little extra and go for the eastern box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.