Winter outdoor housing and temperature

CarsonValdez

Location (City and/or State)
Prescott, AZ
Hi! I’m new to the Forum. I have an 80lb Sulcata who is housed in a large dog igloo outside. We recently moved to an area that will get snow and down to temperatures below 25 degrees in the winter. My question is about heating temperature in the dog house. I currently have a 150 watt ceramic heating bulb in the doghouse. Temperatures from the ceramic heater range from 77 on the floor to 92 near the top. My tortoise likes to lay directly under the ceramic heating bulb. Is that ok? I’m worried that it will get too hot for him. I appreciate any guidance on this.

CarsonValdez

Prescott, AZ
I forgot to add that I have purchased a specially built house for him that is insulated with heating that will arrive in January. So his actual housing will improve greatly. But until then I have the igloo for him.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Yeah, that’s the problem with those dog igloos. They are good for dogs to stay out of inclement weather, but not built to properly hold in heat from a CHE.

The problem is the CHE hanging down too close to the carapace so it will quickly desiccate and damage those top scutes. So, be careful that CHE isnt hanging too low.

Does your igloo have a floor? If so, do you have it insulated, or a thick substrate and/or a Kane heat mat? Do you have a door to close it up at night?

Good you have a better house enroute.

Good luck.

CarsonValdez

Prescott, AZ
Thanks for your reply. The igloo does not have a floor. He won’t go in with the floor. He likes to move the dirt around in there. I have a heavy blanket over the igloo with a tarp over that secured around the base of the house. It also does not have a door. I’ve use the tarp to cover the door at night and to keep rain out. Around the bottom I’ve built up soil to cover any areas that are up enough to allow cold air in.
I think this 150 bulb is too hot. He wants to lay under it and the temp is 98 this morning. I had a 100 watt one in there but at night the temp was getting down to 67. He also has a plastic floor heater that he doesn’t like. He’ll push that out of the igloo or off to the side. He’s pretty particular about things.
Do you think I should return to the 100 watt bulb? I’m worried that his preference to lay under a bulb that gets that warm will harm his shell.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Well, 67 is far too low. But, you need to be equally as careful with the 150 watt CHE being too hot & damaging those top scutes.

Both too hot & too cold - neither are good.

Have you used an IR temp gun on the ground, tort shell, etc?

Your CHE on a thermostat with a temp probe?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can you set him up in the garage? It would be easier to section off the garage and heat that section that modifying the dogloo

CarsonValdez

Prescott, AZ
Well, 67 is far too low. But, you need to be equally as careful with the 150 watt CHE being too hot & damaging those top scutes.

Both too hot & too cold - neither are good.

Have you used an IR temp gun on the ground, tort shell, etc?

Your CHE on a thermostat with a temp probe?
I do have a temp gun that I use. On the ground it is usually 77 degrees. Tort shell runs 87 usually but I worry that it gets hotter. I don’t have a temp probe.

CarsonValdez

Prescott, AZ
Can you set him up in the garage? It would be easier to section off the garage and heat that section that modifying the dogloo
I do have a garage. It gets very cold in there. It is also pretty packed with boxes. We moved here recently. But perhaps I can figure out something. I could also bring him inside the house. However we have to use electric floor heaters for heat. The house is usually 68 degrees. I’ll look online for garage set ups.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think your sullie would be better off indoors if you have that option, at least he would be sheltered out of the wind and damp. The combination of prolonged cold and wet weather could cause RI.

CarsonValdez

Prescott, AZ
I think your sullie would be better off indoors if you have that option, at least he would be sheltered out of the wind and damp. The combination of prolonged cold and wet weather could cause RI.
I think you’re right. I’m working on setting up the garage for him. I think if I hang the 250 watt CHE higher that might be better. I’ll monitor the temp to be sure he doesn’t get heated above 85 at night. I’ll also need to set up a UV light for those days when it’s too cold for him outside. He is in the igloo for tonight. I have the entrance to his igloo open enough to control the temp inside. It was 81 when I checked at 7:45.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think you’re right. I’m working on setting up the garage for him. I think if I hang the 250 watt CHE higher that might be better. I’ll monitor the temp to be sure he doesn’t get heated above 85 at night. I’ll also need to set up a UV light for those days when it’s too cold for him outside. He is in the igloo for tonight. I have the entrance to his igloo open enough to control the temp inside. It was 81 when I checked at 7:45.
You may find you also need something like an oil filled radiator in there to help the room temperature. When members have adapted basements and sheds the walls have all been well insulated, with rubber mats on the floor to help his legs on hard surfaces and for extra insulation. If you use the search facility you can find Tom's excellent designs for insulated and heated night boxes.

2wgasa

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
I forgot to add that I have purchased a specially built house for him that is insulated with heating that will arrive in January. So his actual housing will improve greatly. But until then I have the igloo for him.

Just wondering where or from whom you purchased the house?
Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I’m new to the Forum. I have an 80lb Sulcata who is housed in a large dog igloo outside. We recently moved to an area that will get snow and down to temperatures below 25 degrees in the winter. My question is about heating temperature in the dog house. I currently have a 150 watt ceramic heating bulb in the doghouse. Temperatures from the ceramic heater range from 77 on the floor to 92 near the top. My tortoise likes to lay directly under the ceramic heating bulb. Is that ok? I’m worried that it will get too hot for him. I appreciate any guidance on this.
Dogloos don't work, as you are seeing. Likewise, CHEs will damage them and not effectively heat larger tortoises anyway, as ZP pointed out. Same with heat lamps.

The new house sounds like it might save the day, but you need something right now, immediately, today. Get a Kane or Stansfield heat mat, and get him into a warm room.

Here are two treads showing safe and effective ways to heat them. I link them for reference. Hopefully your new box will use these methods:

CarsonValdez

Prescott, AZ
Just wondering where or from whom you purchased the house?
Thanks
I bought the house from BCFab on Etsy. It was very very expensive. I looked at a lot of different options before buying this. I was going to try to build something myself but I do not have tools or experience with that sort of thing. The house I chose is 48” by 48”. Insulated. Designed with heating and UV light. My tortoise, Tortellini, is 80lbs. Large guy. This home should last many years. I want him to be comfortable, safe and healthy. Even though this house was very expensive it is something that should last a long time and offer him the protection and comfort he needs particularly in winter.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania

I bought the house from BCFab on Etsy. It was very very expensive. I looked at a lot of different options before buying this. I was going to try to build something myself but I do not have tools or experience with that sort of thing. The house I chose is 48” by 48”. Insulated. Designed with heating and UV light. My tortoise, Tortellini, is 80lbs. Large guy. This home should last many years. I want him to be comfortable, safe and healthy. Even though this house was very expensive it is something that should last a long time and offer him the protection and comfort he needs particularly in winter.

That's cool, I wasn't aware people were shipping large tortoises boxes like that!

CarsonValdez

Prescott, AZ
Dogloos don't work, as you are seeing. Likewise, CHEs will damage them and not effectively heat larger tortoises anyway, as ZP pointed out. Same with heat lamps.

The new house sounds like it might save the day, but you need something right now, immediately, today. Get a Kane or Stansfield heat mat, and get him into a warm room.

Here are two treads showing safe and effective ways to heat them. I link them for reference. Hopefully your new box will use these methods:

Thanks for the links. I wish I was handy enough to build something myself. I have a Kane heat mat. He just pushes it out of the house. My garage is not insulated. It’s very cold in there. Concrete flooring. I know a mat would be an option to put down. We were thinking of putting a tarp down with about 5 inches of dirt. He prefers dirt and likes to flip it on his back. I’m consulting with a vet too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the links. I wish I was handy enough to build something myself. I have a Kane heat mat. He just pushes it out of the house. My garage is not insulated. It’s very cold in there. Concrete flooring. I know a mat would be an option to put down. We were thinking of putting a tarp down with about 5 inches of dirt. He prefers dirt and likes to flip it on his back. I’m consulting with a vet too.
Most vets don't know diddly about tortoise care. Even the reptile vets. Be careful with that. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school.

motogirl

Tehachapi
I think you need to get a rush on that new house unless it's a Well insulated igloo I went through the same thing with my girl she's about a hundred pounds and it took quite a bit to get it right it drops below freezing where I live and there's plenty of snow I went for a Rubbermaid Rubbermaid shed with that top that slides back insulated the inside and then plywood around that inside and heating it accordingly and she can go in and out as she pleases but even then they shed is in a Barnstable.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think you need to get a rush on that new house unless it's a Well insulated igloo I went through the same thing with my girl she's about a hundred pounds and it took quite a bit to get it right it drops below freezing where I live and there's plenty of snow I went for a Rubbermaid Rubbermaid shed with that top that slides back insulated the inside and then plywood around that inside and heating it accordingly and she can go in and out as she pleases but even then they shed is in a Barnstable.
This thread is two years old.

Does the rubber made shed inside the barn stall hold 80 degrees on a freezing night? How are you heating it?

Also, female sulcatas seldom reach 100 pounds. Are you sure it is a female, or are you guessing on the weight? If its a female it is more likely 60-80 pounds tops. If it really weighs 100 pounds it is likely a male. I've only ever seen a few exceptions to this.