Winter time in Northern California... how do you house your sulcata?

csnave

We're starting to have some cold days here in NorCal so I started having our sulcata stay indoors in her old 40gal terrarium. I'm trying to get ideas on how to build her outdoor house so please feel free to share. Looking for ideas on insulation, heating element, etc... thanks!

Attachments

• 20161016_115322.jpg
    20161016_115322.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 23

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum @csnave. You've a gorgeous tort though he/she is slightly pyramiding. Please give him/her a daily soak in warm water and make sure that he/she is warm enough and that there's enough humidity, so as to stop the pyramiding and to avoid dehydration.

Read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread.

csnave

A very warm welcome to the forum @csnave. You've a gorgeous tort though he/she is slightly pyramiding. Please give him/her a daily soak in warm water and make sure that he/she is warm enough and that there's enough humidity, so as to stop the pyramiding and to avoid dehydration.

Read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread.
Thanks, Gillian! It actually stopped progressing after I changed her diet. She used to get supermarket greens and is now getting a salad of mazuri, grass and variety of weeds plus some grape leaves every now and then. She gets a weekly soak now (every other day when she was smaller).

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Thanks, Gillian! It actually stopped progressing after I changed her diet. She used to get supermarket greens and is now getting a salad of mazuri, grass and variety of weeds plus some grape leaves every now and then. She gets a weekly soak now (every other day when she was smaller).
You are welcome.

Honestly speaking I think that torts need a daily soak. I give Oli (my beloved Greek ) a daily soak, AND in Summer I give him two-three soaks a day! Know why? I live in Jordan (the Middle East) where the climate is a terribly DRY one. Where do you live and what's the climate like?

There's a section on "Enclosures" where you could get many ideas on a setup for your cute tort.