winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My Hermen is following a different routine this winter although this is the first winter i have had her, she is sleeping for a few days, the wen she does show her face she basks under the heat lamp for an hour eats and then goes back to sleep for a few days again. But there is no evidense that she is having a poo or drinking? she hasnt lost any weight so i am not too worried. But i have just read a thread that they may eat their own poo could this b happening if so urgh!

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
College Station, TX
Their digestion slows down when they're inactive that much, so you should expect a delay before their next poop.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Rosiee said:
My Hermen is following a different routine this winter although this is the first winter i have had her, she is sleeping for a few days, the wen she does show her face she basks under the heat lamp for an hour eats and then goes back to sleep for a few days again. But there is no evidense that she is having a poo or drinking? she hasnt lost any weight so i am not too worried. But i have just read a thread that they may eat their own poo could this b happening if so urgh!

Hello Rosie
Does your Hermann live inside or outside? If inside, what are the temps?

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Rosiee said:

Rosiee,

Your tortoise is hibernating, or at least behaviorally doing so. If you can keep her in a cool location for the next 2-3 months to allow her to complete the physiological part of hibernating, she'll be a happier tortoise in the spring. During this period, you won't have to feed her. I'd recommend moving her enclosure to a cool spot (like a garage or basement, or a cooler part of the house) that reaches night time temps of between 40 and 50 degrees. Keep the heat lamp off. Be sure to check on her periodically to make sure she's settling into the hibernation. When she shows signs of increased activity in the spring, bring her enclosure back inside the house and put her heat lamp back on. She'll start eating like a pig. No disrespect to pigs, of course ;-)

Michael

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Rosiee I think it is best to either hibernate a tortoise like Michael has described, or else keep them awake 'properly'. By which I mean they sleep at night and have naps during the day but are active at some point every day and eating a little most days.

What your tortoise is doing is neither one thing nor the other and is likely to lead to problems

Rosiee said:

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
how am i suppose to make sure the tortoise is staying awake without disturbing her trying to hibernate which will make her unhappy? i think i am best off leaving her to the sleeping thing she seems happy enough, she is indoors in my front room and i'll keep her there while sleeping in her little bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.