Wintering 2 adult leopard tortoises in Arkansas in a garage

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, Ar
Here in Arkansas I bring these tortoises indoors when it's below 60 at night and below 70 in the day. Usually, that means Nov-Feb.
I have been laying down Mulch/Topsoil about 1-2ft thick and giving them half of the garage (that I should say I heat and use UVB lights from lightyourreptiles) but have decided I need to contain them more.

My question is whether or not anyone uses these large stock tanks. It would be about a 5 ft by 5 ft floor. There is also an 8ft in diameter one that is blue. Any thoughts on if these are big enough? Can I fit two in one?

I should say that on days that it is warm enough and sunny I bring them back outside.

download.png2177188.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Those are too small for adult or teen leopards. A 4x8 foot is minimum for a Russian that gets no where near a leopards size.
Also they need to be housed seperate. Tortoise should never be housed in pairs.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
Those are too small for adult or teen leopards. A 4x8 foot is minimum for a Russian that gets no where near a leopards size.
Also they need to be housed seperate. Tortoise should never be housed in pairs.
When I was seeing people make tortoises boxes for the winter on the forums they are using Plywood that I am guessing is a 4x8 ft floor. Is that not for leopards and sulcatas.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When I was seeing people make tortoises boxes for the winter on the forums they are using Plywood that I am guessing is a 4x8 ft floor. Is that not for leopards and sulcatas.
That's for a night box for sleeping. It's not an enclosure. If you just need a night box then yes you can do that. If you need a whole enclosure then no it's way too small.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
That's for a night box for sleeping. It's not an enclosure. If you just need a night box then yes you can do that. If you need a whole enclosure then no it's way too small.
Thanks that what I thought. I take them out in the day when it its above 60 and sunny. in January and February they stay inside more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
60 is really too cold for leopards and they shouldn't be let out. If the sun is hot enough where it actually heats them to at least 75, 80 is better then it wouldnt be bad. If you do let them out, they should have a heated hide to go into on their own and not be left out without an 80 degree area to get too. They also still need the 95-100 basking area once inside.
Once the temps are below 70-75 I don't let my leopards out. Its about 4 months they live strictly inside.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I take them out in the day when it its above 60 and sunny. in January and February they stay inside more.

My leopard has access to the outdoors every day of the year. He is out and about on the 60F/sunny days but he also has a heated house to retreat to as needed. I'll say, he sure does get pretty charged up between the sun and the heated house. I highly suggest your torts have a heated retreat outside, too. Without that, I'd probably be too uncomfortable letting him be outside below 75F.

Plywood that I am guessing is a 4x8 ft floor.

If I had to contain Levi in a garage, I'd double this and for ease of measurements, offer an 8x8. I could see that being do-able for a single leopard if there were no other options.

Tortoise should never be housed in pairs.

couldn't agree more. I know most people ignore this advice when given. But for those that do listen to it, they see a HUGE difference in their tortoises behaviors once separated. Either 1 or many. No number in between.

Best advice I could give anyone needing to house a leopard over winter, build a heated tortoise shed. I have the 4x4 heated house right now but I'm DYING to upgrade to a shed. I know once I finally do (and by that I mean my hubby finally let's me) I will wonder how I ever got along without it. A heated shed will have a warm place to tort all year long. Access outside or not if you want. Locked up and still dedicated tort space. What's not to love? other than the building costs :) LOL