Wintering Juno + updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Hello Hello :) It's been forever since I last posted.
So I'll start with an update. Juno is doing great. She is being fed everyday to every other day. She is thriving and is doing great. She still is a bit shy with strangers, but runs(well crawls) to her feeding stone when I walk outside. She's a smart. She is doing great.
Now that it's getting cold, Juno won't like being outside at all.

For this year, my parents gave me 2 choices. But I have some concerns.
1)
I recently bought a spare 30 gallon breeder fish tank because my guppies had babies. But now the fry are in a big tank, and the tank is sitting there.
Mom and dad said that for the winter, Juno can come inside, BUT has to stay in that tank. It's really quite big. She can stay in there comfortably. I can add an adhesive heat pad to the bottom of one side(for warmth) and a light bulb on the same side. I will have about an inch of hay for substrate in the whole tank. I will also not keep a water bowl(she still doesnt drink on her own). But I will keep a feeding rock and a box for her small sleeping hut.
My concern is will the light cause fires? Also, since she is staying in the garage(the only animals in the house are the dogs(but they only sleep in my room at night) the bird and fish. Juno isnt allowed, but can stay in the garage. :) My dad parks the car in there at night. But we leave the door leading into the house from the garage open to let some of the air out. Will this be ok?

Option 2(which is very bad).
Juno stays outside, but in her dog house in the porch but we can get a heat lamp to attach to her dog house(she only sleeps in here)

I prefer option 1 as she has some space to roam about in. As opposed to just a dog house. I can also take her outside on sunny days. It was raining today and about 70 F, she was outside eating grazing. I flipped out and moved her into her dog house then moved it to the porch. I guess she likes rain...
But yes, any input is nice :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi...I apologize, however I do not recall what species of tortoise Juno is????? Please forgive me...what type of tortoise is Juno? :D

Even without knowing what type of tortoise she is I like option 1 already over option 2 :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would absolutely go the route with option 1, heat has to be constant along with some humidity....humidity alone can result in Resp. Infect. but combined with warmth/heat indoors is the way to do...these ones can catch the cool and be hazardous to them....

IMHO :p

fbsmith....thank you very much for your reference to the species :p

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
I will definatley provide humidity. :) So maybe a small bowl would be good. Of course, daily mistings.
Now with the car being parked, would that be any problem?
I will not cover the top unless the experts(you all) :D will say that I should.

But yes, I should have stated, Juno is a a Leopard :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would say the biggest goal "I" would have is that the temps can remain steady...so if you live in an area that gets really cold/freezing temps I would make sure to provide some additional substrate....something that holds heat a bit better along with the hay for her to hide in....fire hazard? I believe that hay will be very dry vs some of the other soil like substrates as well as the flip side is that it holds in moisture (when Juno wee's) which can create mold on the hay....I would also have a way to cover at least half to 3/4 of the top of the tank to assure that no cold draft gets in yet air exchange can still happen....also, "I" would put up some type of visual barrier around the glass (at least 3 1/2 of all glass) so she does not stress out trying to get through the glass....maybe a silk plant or two to aid in humidity retention when you mist....these are just some of the concerns I would have....I am sure others will come on and give beautiful points and tips to you and Juno :D

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Thanks! :) I have some potting soil I can use, and I also have some silk plants on hand too! :)
Maybe I can put the hay in her little sleeping box so she can curl up
Thanks! I'll use those tips :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very cool.....please remember to use an organic soil (to assure no fertilizers or those pesty little white foam ball things) maybe mix it with a bag of Eco Earth type substrate? that will give Juno some dig in material as well as hold some humidity :D

You will do great :D

Status
Not open for further replies.