Wish I had found this site 5 years ago.... My Sulcata (Rocky)

kuhlman187

Location (City and/or State)
Baton Rouge, LA
When i was younger i raised a lot of different types of reptiles and amphibians. Then in High School got into Reef Aquariums, did that for about 15 years total. So i understand the need for knowledge when caring for a pet. 5 years ago we went to Repticon (no intention of buying anything) and i love turtles (yes i know they're different). We talked to a breeder about Sulcata's and idk if he was just a salesman or what, but He made it out like all we really needed to do was give him a simple enclosure, feed him grass and don't give him anything out of our refrigerator, no veggies/fruits... said that will cause pyramiding. So we bought him, I got home and tried to research sulcata's and sadly I found very little info except what i was already being told. No where did i find anything about needing to keep it super humid and hot and soaking them. So he's now 5 years old and he's about the size of a box turtle. I'm afraid not getting the knowledge we needed may be why he's not the size he should be. We still love him :)

**any advice from this point on would be greatly appreciated. I built him a new home this weekend it's a "tortoise table" it's on wheels so i can roll him outside. approximatel 3.5' x 6'. I'm not finished that's why he's sitting on wood.

m9osw4.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome and glad you found this site. @Tom and others have posted a lot of information on proper husbandry for sulcatas. Start daily soaking, increase humidity, good food, grasses, mazuri, cuttlebones, proper lighting.... TLC and room to roam.

Here's a pix of our three year old, weighs in at about 60 lbs.

image.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Most people are still raising them all wrong and most of the info you can find is all wrong too. We are working hard to combat this misinformation, but we've got a long way to go and many more people to reach.

If you start offering better conditions and food to your tortoise, he will probably start to grow again and catch up.

kuhlman187

Baton Rouge, LA
Well i found this site around 5:30a.m. this morning, I brought him some mustard/collard greens at lunch and bought him a proper terra cotta dish for water. I will continue to work on giving him the proper environment too. I will also work on getting him a place to stay outside during the day some days. Since it's usually extremely humid here and temps around usually in the 80's-90's. I ordered some mazuri.

What is the best way to soak him? anything need to add to the water? how deep of a bowl? how long?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well i found this site around 5:30a.m. this morning, I brought him some mustard/collard greens at lunch and bought him a proper terra cotta dish for water. I will continue to work on giving him the proper environment too. I will also work on getting him a place to stay outside during the day some days. Since it's usually extremely humid here and temps around usually in the 80's-90's. I ordered some mazuri.

What is the best way to soak him? anything need to add to the water? how deep of a bowl? how long?

For a tortoise that size, I usually use either a large dishwashing tub from Walmart, or an 18 gallon tote from Walmart or a hardware store. Keep the water warm, and I usually make the water go about halfway up the shell. No need to add anything to the water.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Until he won't fit, your kitchen sink makes an easy soaking vessel too :) with easy access to warm water. we soaked our Sully daily, nice warm water, until he wouldnt fit in there, then the black plastic cement mixing tubs available at Lowes, Home Depot.

As water cools down, open your drsin, let it drain out and add some nice warm water. In fact, we used to let the water slowly trickle and Sully would saunter over and enjoy the drip on his head, back..etc.

kuhlman187

Baton Rouge, LA
Y'all are awesome! I actually did a bunch of reading through the forums yesterday and will continue as time allows today. I soaked him good yesterday out in the sun. I love the kitchen sink idea! I will now be focusing on giving him the proper temps and humidity in his enclosure. I will also work on getting

JustinGrattan

Virginia
I was the same way. I kept finding all the wrong information. I found the videos on youtube of Kamp Kenan and I realized I had been doing it all wrong. We, my wife and her parents, have my big guy all set up now. Make sure you add stuff in his enclosure and lots of calcium and water available for him. That is were I messed up. It took some time, I'm talking a few months, but he got bigger, more personable and all around happier. Kenan really helped me do the right things. We were able to find cactus at our local flee market. If you can find that, your golden; I live in Virginia so you don't have to live in the desert to have that readily available. Good luck on your tort bud!!

Pia B

Massachusetts
Welcome and glad you found this site. @Tom and others have posted a lot of information on proper husbandry for sulcatas. Start daily soaking, increase humidity, good food, grasses, mazuri, cuttlebones, proper lighting.... TLC and room to roam.

Here's a pix of our three year old, weighs in at about 60 lbs.

View attachment 218651
3 years old and 60 pounds !! are you sure he only 3 years old ? wow

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Hopefully you bought the original Mazuri and not Mazuri LS... Mazuri LS is unliked by most tortoises but the original Mazuri is loved by most tortoises. just soak it in water for a couple minutes before you give it to him.