With so many new Sulcata babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Don't get me wrong.. I think they are cute as a bugs ear.. but I keep thinking about all the older torts? With all the new babies hatched, it reminds me of our Macaw who also can live for many many years. I have seen so many birds rehomed because they have a long life span. Not like a cat or a dog and I don't think people understand the life span.

I love all the pictures of the new babies but can't help feel sorrow because I im sure there are lots of older torts out there that need a good home.. :(

Plz don't take what I am saying the wrong way. I do love seeing pictures of new babies.. BUT LOVE love love seeing pictures of BOB or of other older Sulcata's..

M

Maggie Cummings

There is nothing to be taken wrong, I feel the same way and if you had a sister involved in turtle and tortoise rescue like I do you would be more sad then you are now. And if you had a friend involved in turtle and tortoise rescue like I do you would be sadder then that...
Not only are the adults homeless, they are mis-treated and deformed and starved and abused and abandoned, some are in constant pain from the abuse and MBD and they are depressed and lonely. I argue as much as I can against breeding or allowing eggs to hatch, but on the Southern East Coast they don't seem to see Sulcata the way we do. And others seeing how cute the babies are disagree with anything I've just said because they don't actually see it daily as I did when I was living close to my sister...Sulcata are in a terrible condition now and in the future as well...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I'm fine with people getting baby Sulcatas as long as they care for them properly (large yard, etc) and plan to keep them the entire lifespan of the tort, or have plans in place. I still find it hard to believe that people buy a tiny Sulcata not realizing how big they get and how to care for them. That is ignorance of both the owner and the breeder/store.

I would however like to see less Sulcata breeding, and ensuring that the older Sulcatas are adopted out. I have actually heard some people having a hard time finding an older Sulcata to adopt and there being waiting lists. Maybe this is only in certain parts of the country though.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
yeah knowing now what i know i don't think i would buy a new one unless I was ready to set it up and couldn't find one to adopt

the older ones are easier anyways. I really think sulcatas should be harder to get a hold of and only certain people should allow to breed them.

mischelle_99

5 Year Member
Someone's got to take the babies. As a new baby sulcata owner, I know how big they get and I also know that they are a lifetime commitment. I will do everything in my power to make a great home for our little "Squirt". I got into a Saltwater tank not knowing much of anything and have done lots of research and have joined all the forums to get the best info possible so that I can make my fish and corals happy. I believe that I am succeeding at that and I will at raising a sulcata as well. In the meantime my dog is eating my house.... arghhh.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Its the breeders that only see them as $$$$$ that i dont like. No follow up care, no care hwo buys them or how many or instructions , just cash the check and never look back. With any animal that is being bred.. not just torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.