WOKE UP FROM HIBERNATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
The people who live in Southern California - are your tortoises waking up from hibernation yet?

I live in Alta Loma, California. My male woke up from hibernation on Wednesday. The girls are still hibernating. They are Russian tortoises. The male had dug down in the ground before the outside hibernation house was done. All the girls except for one are in the hibernation house (5 of them) Should I partially raise the lid of the hibernation house to let in light and heat since it has been so warm outside? The temperature in the hibernation box has risen to 50-51 degrees during the day. The hibernation house is very well insulated. They can come out if they want to as there is a doorway and tunnel for them to come out. Should I just leave them alone? I would appreciated opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

:)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Carol S said:
The people who live in Southern California - are your tortoises waking up from hibernation yet?

I live in Alta Loma, California. My male woke up from hibernation on Wednesday. The girls are still hibernating. They are Russian tortoises. The male had dug down in the ground before the outside hibernation house was done. All the girls except for one are in the hibernation house (5 of them) Should I partially raise the lid of the hibernation house to let in light and heat since it has been so warm outside? The temperature in the hibernation box has risen to 50-51 degrees during the day. The hibernation house is very well insulated. They can come out if they want to as there is a doorway and tunnel for them to come out. Should I just leave them alone? I would appreciated opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

:)

I dont own turtles that hibernate anymore but with this weather Im sure they will be popping up

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't own a tort that hibernates either. I just bet though the girls know the pesky man is up and out and they just don't want to be bothered by him yet:D glad he made it up and hope all the girls show up soon.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I would love to know more details about your hibernation house. Have you posted about it? Can you share pictures for other so Cal Russian keepers (me) to learn from? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.