Wondering if Morgan's shell is growing okay

reatrocity

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia, United States
Hey all. :) So Morgan is about 5 months old now, I just wanted to make sure she was growing alright, since all of you probably have a better eye than me with these things. He has been a slow grower, and one of my buddies on TF that has a Hermann's of similar age has already outgrown their enclosure, while Morgan seems like he's not even close. I have noticed growth, he hasn't gotten smaller and he eats fine, I just wanted to make sure he's okay. I posted some pictures for you guys.

Do you notice the beginning of pyramiding? One thing that has me a little worried is that the middle of the scute seems to be sunken in a little. It doesn't seem to be moving up with the rest of his grown rings. Overall he is very active, loves to eat a variety of weeds, gets soaks daily and I mist his enclosure multiple times a day (a bit extra once the light is off in the evening).

Thanks everyone for your help. :)

Attachments

• morgan.png
    morgan.png
    982.1 KB · Views: 106
  • morganflower.jpg
    morganflower.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 101
  • morganflower2.jpg
    morganflower2.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 101

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
As far as not growing as fast as Littlefoot, I'm pretty sure Littlefoot is just growing freakishly fast. He's just shy of 2.5" now...that's 0.75" in 2 months. You're worried about growing too slow and I'm worried about too fast. Lol! He outgrew his enclosure psycholgically more than physically I think...it was more the short sides than the footprint. He kept trying to get out.

I think Morgan is beautiful. I love his nuchal scute. :)

reatrocity

5 Year Member
West Virginia, United States
Thanks for giving me a little piece of mind. I think Morgan is still doing fine in his enclosure, but I figured I would just ask just in case. :p I'm sure you understand how every little thing that happens seems to freak me out. LOL! :) Hopefully someone else here can give me a bit of peace of mind, or at least let me know I should make some changes so that his shell grows better.

RGB

5 Year Member
It's hard to assess strictly by size. Monitor the weight as a better guide to growth rate. Some tortoises initial growth may be more of a "domed" growth. If your tort is active, eating well, and growing, it's sounds like all is well. Some torts do grow faster than others as well. The faster growth tends to give more pyramiding.