Wondering if my guys growing well

Laurie86

He's very healthy, I grow him his own wheat grass during winter. He eats a little mazuri with that and some Timothy hay.

His measurements are:

1ft long from shell V to butt
9 inches across shell
6 inches from plastron to top.
He weighs 13. something lbs.

I got him at 4 years old and he weighed 11lbs.

He's now almost 5 years so he's grown 2lbs in a year.

He was up to 14lbs at the end of summer but as he can't freely graze unless it's a nice day he's dropped a little weight.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would try to add more variety to his diet. You may also need to feed him more. I don't notice weight loss in winter. They don't get to roam as much, so less movement means they put on a little more weight then summer or will stay the same. At least that's what I usually notice with my leopards

Laurie86

Forgive the photos lol, he's drying from his bath.

I have always read that slow and steady growth (like in the wild) is best for them :(

I've seen youtube videos of people claiming their 5 year old sully is 70lbs! And then some the same age that is Bob's size. I'm so confused :/

He also has an Instagram if you want to see videos or more photos. It's bobble.the.tortoise

Attachments

• 1484262238641.jpg
    1484262238641.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 18

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
@Maro2Bear just posted and his 2 and a half Sully weights 36 pounds. My 2 year old weights 14 pounds. They all grow at different rates.

Btw great looking Sulcata. Just let him eat all he wants. They are grazers.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
@Maro2Bear just posted and his 2 and a half Sully weights 36 pounds. My 2 year old weights 14 pounds. They all grow at different rates.

New great looking Sulcata. Just let him eat all he wants. They are grazers.

It does seem like they all have different growth rates. We just try and maintain good temperatures, humidity and provide as varied diet as we can. We weigh ours weekly and have his growth chart posted there.

Laurie86

Yeah, I got worried from what you guys said and posted in a fb group. They all said the same. They all grow so differently there really is no "norm". As long as they act right and look good ❤