Leebug

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
frank018.jpg

frank004.jpg

frank014.jpg

franknbeans007.jpg

Also, he doesn't stand on his back legs... they just go out to the sides. I just got him from a guy who kept him in a tiny tank... I'm pretty sure he just fed him lettuce. Trying to find a reptile vet in my area that won't cost a fortune...

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
poor baby! get some good food in him and a bigger habitat and alot of lovin and he is gonna be soo happy. :) little guy got lucky.

Leebug

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have talked to the AZ Game and Fish people, emailed them some pics and found out that he is a desert tortoise but I don't need a permit b/c we did not buy him or find him~ someone gave it to us...
He is in bad shape but we will do what we can. We probably won't be able to get his back legs to ever go back to normal :( does anyone know anything about Mercury Vapor Lights and where to get them???
I am guessing online b/c PetSmart had no idea what I was talking about!!
Well, thanks again!
Wish us luck in getting him healthy!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Darn, he just looks somehow different to me than most desert tortoises I've seen. Darker. With you being in AZ and all I should have guessed DT though. It would make more sense to have a DT.

I remember hearing something about back-leg paralysis in torts. Some sort of vitamin/mineral/protein deficiency if I remember right. Search the forum for a while and you may be able to pull some information up about it. I don't remember any details, but I do know that it has been addressed here on the forum and is in "the archives" if you have some time to sit down and look for it. Also, did you notice the TFO tortoise vet list on the front page? It would be a good place to start at when looking for a tortoise vet.

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree he looks more like a Texas tort than a desert tort. He has MBD. With lots of loving care he will come around. Give him lots of calcium, sprinkled over his food daily as he will pee out the excess. It's Metabolic Bone Disease...I promise with good food, strong UVB and lots of humidity he will come around and start using his back legs

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you order the MVB (mercury vapor bulb) online, you can get a better deal. I just bought a couple from Petmountain.com and they were $45 apiece. T-Rex active UV/heat 100 watt.

The color of the tortoise reminds me of Texas tortoises, however, I'm still thinking desert tortoise. Doesn't matter...same care for both.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I have the Powersun UV, got it from lllreptile.com for $50 I think...Plus shipping? Don't remember :p I hope you learn all the info you need to make him a happy Tort :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I THINK you need a permit regardless of how you got him..
lots of calcium and natural sunlight, good food.. might help him recover..
Goog luck and Congrats!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If i remember correctly arizona requires a permit and you can only have one, just some info.
That picture looks familiar though.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I have talked to the AZ Game and Fish people, emailed them some pics and found out that he is a desert tortoise but I don't need a permit b/c we did not buy him or find him~ someone gave it to us...

Apparently ya don't need a permit ...I was thinking TT being so dark in color.Like Maggie said,he/she will come around with proper care.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
No, we don't need permits here in AZ. State regulations allow for one per person.

If they end up in one of the adoption programs, they have their own rules, which is usually one per household.

Yes, it is a local (AZ) DT.

The mecury vapor bulbs (MVB) are available from several online sources as mentioned by other above, even ebay at times.

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/uvb-fluorescent-lights-mercury-vapor-bulbs/

I have had good luck here. Dr. Funk knows tortoises.

Richard S. Funk, MA, DVM
Mesa Veterinary Hospital Ltd.
858 N. Country Club Drive
Mesa, AZ 85201
Tel: (480) 833-7330
Fax: (480) 833-0124

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Glad he found someone that will take good care of him. Poor baby. What kind of substrate are you using? It looks really red.

Leebug

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks for the links, everyone!!
I will be ordering a mercury light today.
The substrate is coconut wood. Is this good? (we are going to get some indoor/outdoor grass to put in his new home we are building)
We're thinking of making him a set of wheels ;)
Thoughts on this?
We figure if his back legs don't work well, maybe wheels to help him exercise his arms???
Just brainstorming... We didn't realize how bad this guy was til after we got him :(
He still hasn't really eaten.
We are pretty much leaving him alone other than soaking him in warm water for about 20-30 min a day (can I over soak him?)
I have read that w/ young torts soaking them 2-3 times per week is good, but this guy isn't doing so well... so should I be soaking him every day or not???
I just hope he turns around... just got to wait for the new light to get here and hopefully get this dude warm enough so he'll eat!

CGKeith said:
No, we don't need permits here in AZ. State regulations allow for one per person.

If they end up in one of the adoption programs, they have their own rules, which is usually one per household.

Yes, it is a local (AZ) DT.

The mecury vapor bulbs (MVB) are available from several online sources as mentioned by other above, even ebay at times.

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/uvb-fluorescent-lights-mercury-vapor-bulbs/

I have had good luck here. Dr. Funk knows tortoises.

Richard S. Funk, MA, DVM
Mesa Veterinary Hospital Ltd.
858 N. Country Club Drive
Mesa, AZ 85201
Tel: (480) 833-7330
Fax: (480) 833-0124

Thanks, Dr. Funk!!
I just might need to bring this guy in & you're not too far from us!!

Badgemash

5 Year Member
We go to the Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital http://www.azeah.com/ in Mesa. They've been really great, very thorough but they don't do unnecessary procedures either. I was really impressed with Dr. Johnson, he seemed really up to date on research (like the humidity/pyramiding stuff), plus he has sulcatas himself. They also do boarding if you have to go out of town.

-Devon

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Poor baby! Get him out in the sunshine as much as possible, but if he has trouble walking, be sure he can easily get into the shade so he doesn't over heat, or put him in dappled sunshine. UV lights are good, but sunshine is better. Lots of calcium and TLC. So glad he is in good hands now! :)

Leebug

5 Year Member
Arizona
franklinwithplants007.jpg

frankeats038.jpg

Hey, All!!!

Update on Franklin :)
He has been in his new home for a few weeks now and seems to love it... We do have a Mercury bulb and soak/feed every 3 days, even doing a little "physical therapy" with him when he walks ;)
He is eating very well and seems to be doing great!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
SUNSHINE SUNSHINE SUNSHINE!!! Several people on both threads have mentioned it, but I really wanted to emphasize it. A good diet, calcium supplementation, and lots of SUNSHINE, will probably turn this little guy around and get him walking again. Being outside on natural ground and grazing on grass and weeds will work wonders for him. I'd soak him at least every other day too.

Your enclosure looks great. Nice job. Your light bulb will work better if you somehow mount it directly overhead. I usually hang them by their cords. This is much safer AND it allows you to adjust the height to get your temp just right. Those clamps ALWAYS fail eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.