Wont eat it unless its moving

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I start out my baby box turtles using baby tortoise food as a base. Since I feed baby tortoises everyday, I always have chopped up greens and veggies. So I take a glob of that (scientific term) into a bowl, then I add a dollop of canned cat food (or canned venison with sweet potatoes dog food) and mix it up until all the greens are coated with that ucky smell (another scientific term). Once they are eating that, one day instead of the cat food, I'll use a dollop of black worms (those tiny aquarium worms for tropical fish) and mix that up real good. They usually get so good at eating these mixtures, that one day if I happen to put only veggies and greens out, they actually eat it!!

Triz

Modesto, ca
I start out my baby box turtles using baby tortoise food as a base. Since I feed baby tortoises everyday, I always have chopped up greens and veggies. So I take a glob of that (scientific term) into a bowl, then I add a dollop of canned cat food (or canned venison with sweet potatoes dog food) and mix it up until all the greens are coated with that ucky smell (another scientific term). Once they are eating that, one day instead of the cat food, I'll use a dollop of black worms (those tiny aquarium worms for tropical fish) and mix that up real good. They usually get so good at eating these mixtures, that one day if I happen to put only veggies and greens out, they actually eat it!!
Thank you! i will definately try that! I have ordered the Old Mazuri mix and should get it here by Monday, until then I will try the venison and sweet potatoe mixture and see how that works, thank you for the advice!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
How are you torts doing, @Triz ? Hope all is well.
Please keep us updated.

Triz

Modesto, ca
How are you torts doing, @Triz ? Hope all is well.
Please keep us updated.
Still not trying to eat anything not alive lol, but im waiting on the mazuri mix i ordered to come in and i will be buying some Venison and sweet potatoe dog food later today and try that, i will let you know how it goes :)

Lemonade

5 Year Member
Baby box turtles in the wild live near the muddy areas of ponds, where they can stay moist, as well as find lots of live bugs. It is normal at this age for them to respond to that kind of food. I would offer them chopped veggies and fruit, but keep the live food coming too. They'll make the adjustment into adult food choices as they grow.

Triz

Modesto, ca
Baby box turtles in the wild live near the muddy areas of ponds, where they can stay moist, as well as find lots of live bugs. It is normal at this age for them to respond to that kind of food. I would offer them chopped veggies and fruit, but keep the live food coming too. They'll make the adjustment into adult food choices as they grow.
Thank you.