wont poop

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
hi guys, so my tortoise hasn’t pooped in awhile. The entire time I’ve had him he’s only pooped a few times. They were big poops but he hasn’t been going in awhile. Even soaking him he just won’t go. I don’t know if maybe it has to do with hibernation? I’ve been trying to educate myself on tortoise hibernation but I’m having a hard time. When he pees the texture/consistency has been quite strange too. Like egg yolk. Is this a common thing that will pass or should I be concerned.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's not a lot of information to go on. It's probably why no one has responded yet.
So I'll try.
I'm thinking maybe your tortoise is not warm enough to digest his food. Could that be the issue?
How are you keeping him (or her)?
What kind of heating are you using and what temperature is it near the tortoise?

Last edited:
Massachusetts
That's not a lot of information to go on. It's probably why no one has responded yet.
So I'll try.
I'm thinking maybe your tortoise is not warm enough to digest his food. Could that be the issue?
How are you keeping him (or her)?
What kind of heating are you using and what temperature is it near the tortoise?
Thank you for replying! He is a kinixys hingeback, I’ve been trying to maintain the temperature around 80 degrees with the humidity at 80% too. It’s winter in Massachusetts right now but his tank has stayed around 80. I use a basking bulb during the day and this purple night time heat bulb at night. He also has a heating matt on the side of the tank.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Try adding a CHE in place of that black bulb.
Black bulbs are less than ideal for a tortoise. You need to replicate a "nighttime" cycle. That purple glow doesn't do it.
A CHE can provide reliable and safe heat day AND night. Since it gives off no light. Just heat.
It should help both of your issues there. A bump in extra warmth in the daytime and a nighttime heat source that operates with no light.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
As somebody said, hingebacks don't do winter burmation, summer if too hot they kinda do.

What are you feeding him?

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Another question please: what kind of hingeback and how long have you had it? Also kind of substrate? Well 3 questions?.