Wood for indoor enclosures? Post your pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herman Ben

5 Year Member
What wood should I use to build an indoor enclosure?

Post pics of your indoor cages might get some ideas;)

CDNPyxis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
RE: Wood for indoor enclosures?

It does not really matter, you just need to make sure it is of the appropriate strength to hold your tortoise in. I have made many enclosures out of cardboard with a plastic liner.

Craig

Herman Ben

5 Year Member

oh thanks building his enclosure soon can't wait to get him.

Also can I have a list of all the things ill need for an indoor enclosure
heat lamps E.G

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ

Herman Ben said:
oh thanks building his enclosure soon can't wait to get him.

Also can I have a list of all the things ill need for an indoor enclosure
heat lamps E.G

U will see that the popular substrate is coco coir or sphagnum moss because they hold moisture and humidity much better than anything else. I use a mix of sphagnum moss and cypress mulch and mine love it and I get goo humidity levels of around 70 percent average outside of the hide. You will also need a hide (place for them to hide) and a heat lamp to ensure that the temps stay around 80. It helps to have a watering dish in the enclosure because the little guy will love to soak and sit in it. On top of this you’ll probable need tube lighting that gives off UVB rays so your little guy can properly absorb his calcium. Some people don’t use the tube lighting but you must take him outside everyday in the sunshine if you don’t use one. Then the rest of it is all the fun stuff aka up to you. I put some basking rocks in there that the little guys can sit on to dry off once in a while and a few little pebbles that they like to push around. Have fun with it and make sure to post some pics so we can see how it worked out for you.

A awsome indoor enclosure I had seen was on the thread "New Indoor Winter Enclosure For the grand kids-Torts" I loved the wood and hinged doors along with the plexi/glass viewing window. Im not a huge fan of the fake plants inside, but her torts dont eat it, so it looks nice.

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/search...d5e58d295342b92dcf5ec278811e379#ixzz28RvcL4i7

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
It doesn't really matter what wood you use i don't think. For mine I wa having trouble holding the moisture in so I sealed and painted the inside. It made such a difference!!

Status
Not open for further replies.