Woody is not well

JLM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola Florida
so at the end if August we "rescued" woody. We estimated him to be about 5. We took him to the vet immediately (next day) and he was full of worms. He's been in quarantine ever since. We medicated for worms but they did not clear so we switched to pancur. After the first dose he stopped eating the food we gave him (not that he was a great eater to begin with). I weighed him every week and he wasn't losing weight so I assumed he grazed in the enclosure and just wasn't fond of my "cooking". Since he wasn't eating I was unable to get the 2nd dose in last Saturday. Since then I haven't seen him eat anything. He had been drinking during soaks...until tonight. I noticed his head was under water more than normal. I picked him up and realized his head was fully extended and he couldn't lift his head. I immediately called the vet and they said there wouldn't be a lot they would do after hours so to wait until morning but that it sounded very grave. Here's hoping that he hangs on tonight and they can do something for him tomorrow. Please send healing thoughts for Woody.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry to hear hes not doing well. Fingers crossed he pulls thru

Last edited:

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
Update on Woody: he was a tad more alert today. They found worms (no surprise) and giardia. Since we can't get him to eat we can't get meds in. They are going to keep him for a couple days and give him tube feedings to ensure he gets the nutrition and meds he needs. We'll see how this goes.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
Sadly, he did not make it. The vet was surprised too. He was too sick to overcome it I guess. A good lesson on sourcing your turtles from reputable breeders. Otherwise everything else is a rescue (regardless of cost) and you never know what you get. I should have known when the box came all taped shut with no air holes.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
On Woody's behalf, I thank you for your good efforts to save him. Someone cared!