worming my RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi everyone! I've just sent a sample of poop to be checked from my RT Mo and if you look at the photos this was the results
ImageUploadedByTortForum1380304457.282150.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1380304474.317348.jpg
He apparently has pinworm. What is the best way to worm him? The vets or a reptile centre or myself!??
I'm so glad I checked this before hibernating him! It says he's small but I think their going by the sample size because he hardly pooped! This makes me think the sample could be higher!? I've been told by his measurements he's approximately 5 years old . I've only had him nearly 4 months :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would not brumate a tort soon after deworming....also, the count seems so low and you may damage the good stuff when doing away with the low count....just my gut response....see what others think, the more the merrier...:D

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
ascott said:
I would not brumate a tort soon after deworming....also, the count seems so low and you may damage the good stuff when doing away with the low count....just my gut response....see what others think, the more the merrier...:D

Okay cheers! my Redfoot one came back good but I'm worried about Mo my Russian and hibernation.

Alan RF said:
ascott said:

Okay cheers! my Redfoot one came back good but I'm worried about Mo my Russian and hibernation.

If I didn't de-worm him would you still brumate or leave him till next year?

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
What size is he? If he is quite big you could probably get away without worming him...

Also if you have only had him 4 months you may want to think about over wintering him this year...

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I wouldn't bother with de-worming either. Like previously said, it could get the good things too. And it would e vest to wait until the next year to hibernate a new tortoise, to make sure the tortoise is healthy.

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Merlin M said:
What size is he? If he is quite big you could probably get away without worming him...

Also if you have only had him 4 months you may want to think about over wintering him this year...

He's 4.5 inches and I was told he's approximately 5years old. He is winding down though himself it seems. He's not eating as much and he seems healthy. I'd miss him loads if I hibernate him but don't want to not do it if he's used to it!?

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Not a bad size should be ok to not worm him... but maybe test again in a few months to make sure they are not on the rise...

You should be fine keeping him up, will not be as active but keeping night temps up at around 15°C should help!

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Merlin M said:
Not a bad size should be ok to not worm him... but maybe test again in a few months to make sure they are not on the rise...

You should be fine keeping him up, will not be as active but keeping night temps up at around 15°C should help!

The poop sample was small I think that's why the test centre said he was small . my only worry is, would a bigger sample show more!? I've decided to not hibernate him and not de-worm him until like you said a few months time-retest! This way I know these worms won't be doing any harm as I'll notice his weight dropping. :) hibernate next October!

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Good plan! Also I would advise starting hibernation in December (so wind down in November) so they miss the worst of the winter and when they get up weeds are about again!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, if the tort is new still to you then waiting a full year until next winter would be best for the brumation issue....he will not forget what do to.

He will likely slow down regardless of your efforts...it is hardwired in him over alot of years/generations before him....but do make sure to keep a routine so that you can keep an eye on him...he may want to dig in--which is fine, but be sure to pull him out each day, soak and warm him up and offer a bit of food---do this each and every day...it can be a battle to keep a species of tort awake that would much rather get their beauty rest...:D

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
ascott said:
Yes, if the tort is new still to you then waiting a full year until next winter would be best for the brumation issue....he will not forget what do to.

He will likely slow down regardless of your efforts...it is hardwired in him over alot of years/generations before him....but do make sure to keep a routine so that you can keep an eye on him...he may want to dig in--which is fine, but be sure to pull him out each day, soak and warm him up and offer a bit of food---do this each and every day...it can be a battle to keep a species of tort awake that would much rather get their beauty rest...:D

Lol! It's going to be a journey but seeing everyday makes my day so I'll do all what you say! :) - I do this anyway but today he wasn't digging in he had his beady eye on me from a great height!
Boy can he climb! Luckily he's in a tall chest box !
ImageUploadedByTortForum1380397142.927367.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
My personal experience and opinion is that a tortoise that is diagnosed with pinworms should be treated for pinworms. I would NEVER hibernate/brumate a tortoise that has been diagnosed with intestinal parasites - best to wait until next winter for brumation.

As far as treatment goes, I know that there are quite a few folks on here that want to let nature take its course, or try home remedies... but honestly, nature has already been messed with. I don't say that in a mean way - it's just the reality, that by transporting the tortoise away from where it came from, the stress of the travels likely enabled the parasites to grow to a larger number than they ever would have. Because of this, I would recommend to treat initially with 2 doses, 11-12 days apart. If you don't have experience with this, you will need to work with a vet to get the dosage right. Panacur paste (active ingredient fenbendazole) is safe in proper dosage, and very effective in knocking out the worms, while not damaging other intestinal flora. You can also help by giving probiotics after the treatment, to foster the 'good stuff' growing to take the place the worms were. You will want to soak your tortoise daily during treatment (between the doses, and for a week after), and also discard all substrate and clean the enclosure, then put newspaper down. You'll need to discard the newspaper every day until 2 weeks after the second dose.

Later on, once your tortoise is worm free, I am all for using pumpkin etc. as a preventative measure.

I hope this helps. I have had to treat several of the tortoises I have rehabilitated for worms, one of which had the worst case our vet had ever seen in her entire career (he had such a heavy load that he was pooping out solid globs of pinworms). He is now happy and healthy after 4 (!) doses, but the worms would have likely killed him without intervention.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
biochemnerd808 said:
My personal experience and opinion is that a tortoise that is diagnosed with pinworms should be treated for pinworms. I would NEVER hibernate/brumate a tortoise that has been diagnosed with intestinal parasites - best to wait until next winter for brumation.

As far as treatment goes, I know that there are quite a few folks on here that want to let nature take its course, or try home remedies... but honestly, nature has already been messed with. I don't say that in a mean way - it's just the reality, that by transporting the tortoise away from where it came from, the stress of the travels likely enabled the parasites to grow to a larger number than they ever would have. Because of this, I would recommend to treat initially with 2 doses, 11-12 days apart. If you don't have experience with this, you will need to work with a vet to get the dosage right. Panacur paste (active ingredient fenbendazole) is safe in proper dosage, and very effective in knocking out the worms, while not damaging other intestinal flora. You can also help by giving probiotics after the treatment, to foster the 'good stuff' growing to take the place the worms were. You will want to soak your tortoise daily during treatment (between the doses, and for a week after), and also discard all substrate and clean the enclosure, then put newspaper down. You'll need to discard the newspaper every day until 2 weeks after the second dose.

Later on, once your tortoise is worm free, I am all for using pumpkin etc. as a preventative measure.

I hope this helps. I have had to treat several of the tortoises I have rehabilitated for worms, one of which had the worst case our vet had ever seen in her entire career (he had such a heavy load that he was pooping out solid globs of pinworms). He is now happy and healthy after 4 (!) doses, but the worms would have likely killed him without intervention.

Oh my! I want to do the right thing and I know brumation and hibernation is not going to happen. I'll seek advice from my vet but I need to check they know about tortoises, if not, I need to find a good one in Yorkshire,UK. It's funny because my redfoot hasn't got it and he eats lots of squash and pumpkin which I was told from another TF member was a natural de-wormer. Thanks for this and appreciate your view.

Status
Not open for further replies.