WORMS??????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield, Ma
So I seen someone that had soil and put worms into the enclosure for there Refoot OR Cherry Heads forgot what type it was BUT I am just double checking is it ok to give them worms? Will my 3 month old Cherry Head eat them OR even be interested in it? Now i know it shouldn't be there regular meal.
So if they see the worm moving around or see it on the soil will he go and eat it? I did get a few worms to see how my Cherry head tortoises react to them and see if they would like to munch on them. Any thoughts on this?

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
the torts love worms, and it actually would be a routine meal for them in the wild...just basic earth worms or trout worms from a bait shop are fine..i feed my tort a bunch of worms every week as a routine thing..they need some protein and its natural that they would be in contact with bugs and worms...if you wanna give your tort some real fun...put some worms in a shallow tub next time you give your tort a soak...they go crazy..your tort will run, swim and dance to get a bite outta the worms!

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
With your tort being small you'll want to chop up the worms to a more manageable size, but yes you can feed worms as part of a varied diet.

As for cheery head/regular there isn't too much difference in care, it's mainly looks and size that are different.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Oh wow ok... I'll have to try to put them in the water with them and sit back and watch. They must be cute trying to eat them...
I'm in the middle of changing the enclosure around AGAIN lol so I'll be adding the soil and putting the worms in the soil.

Now this is off topic but I have a 3 month old Cherry Head that is always sleeping BUT comes out to eat, drink ect but goes right back where he likes to hide. So my question is will she be more active as e gets older?

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Babies hide a lot, its more a a defense mechanism that they have, in the wild they are easily eaten since they are so small so they hide a lot. Plus they are babies and like babies of any species they sleep a lot. Once she is bigger she will be much more active and personable.

As for leos, I don' have any so maybe I am off on this however, leos don't need meat, they eat vegetation and get the protein they need from plants such as clovers. I would read some of the diet lists in the leo section to be sure, but I am pretty certain they don't.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
All of your tortoises can have earthworms.

They also help turn over your substrate and digest some amount of waste matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.