Worried about desert tortoise hatchling feeding

Michelled

Location (City and/or State)
Riverside ca
Nervous mom here. We have 4 adult desert tortoises, 2 raised from babies but it's been several years and reading this forum I see much of the thinking on care has evolved. We have a desert tortoise that hatched just 3 days ago. Seems to be liking the indoor habitat, is quite active but I don't think it's eating. Yolk sac was gone when it hatched, I've put out grated spring mix and some small pieces of grass but it doesn't look like it's consuming anything. Does it take a while???

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum, @Michelled .

Please post pics. That would enable the experts to help you much more easily.

@Yvonne
@Tom

Your help would be appreciated. Thank you both.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nervous mom here. We have 4 adult desert tortoises, 2 raised from babies but it's been several years and reading this forum I see much of the thinking on care has evolved. We have a desert tortoise that hatched just 3 days ago. Seems to be liking the indoor habitat, is quite active but I don't think it's eating. Yolk sac was gone when it hatched, I've put out grated spring mix and some small pieces of grass but it doesn't look like it's consuming anything. Does it take a while???
They need hydration and warm temps. Check these out. Care for DTs is the same as Russians:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Michelled

Riverside ca
Thanks Tom, I read those a few times over the last couple of days. He's warm and I had him in a bath for 20 mins today. He's very active, my question is if hatchlings eat right away (hatched 3 days ago) or if it generally takes a few days to eat the food I'm putting out?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom, I read those a few times over the last couple of days. He's warm and I had him in a bath for 20 mins today. He's very active, my question is if hatchlings eat right away (hatched 3 days ago) or if it generally takes a few days to eat the food I'm putting out?
Did it hatch in the ground? Or did you incubate it? I ask because if it came out of the ground, you don't know when it hatched. It might have hatched three weeks ago, or it might have hatched the day you found it.

I find that when they hatch out of the ground here, it is usually too dry, too cold at night, and it takes them a few days of warm temps and long soaks to get up to speed.

Michelled

Riverside ca
Oh I understand. It hatched in the ground, we were there when it dug out on Monday. Thanks so much for your help. I found the care sheet and beginners mistakes info very helpful and reassuring over the past couple of days, much appreciated! Will keep up the heat and the soaks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love baby DTs, so please keep us updated and post lots of pics. They are a wonderful species and I wish the rest of the world was allowed to get to know them too. Enjoy!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

I feed my baby desert tortoise a mixture of chopped up (very tiny) collard, Santa Barbara mix (endive, escarole & radicchio), romaine, Artisan lettuces (gem, oak leaf & tango) weeds, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, shredded carrot, grated zucchini. I get the Santa Barbara Mix and the Artisan lettuces at Smart and Final. Occasionally I add soaked Purina Layena or soaked Mazuri to the mix. And a couple times a week I add some calcium powder. I've never had a problem getting baby desert tortoises to eat this mixture.

desert tortoise babies 10-13-18.jpg desert tortoise babies 10-15-18.jpg

Were there any more babies in the nest? They get started eating better when there's more than one at the food.

Michelled

Riverside ca
584FAF5F-8160-40F5-BB11-8B7D95DABBC9.jpeg CE8397AF-B4B7-4186-A236-48B968F0286C.jpeg No it’s the only one we have. The adults we have had for several years and they are outdoors, we didn’t know there was a nest until this little guy/gal dug his way out into the world. Thanks so much for your help!!

Michelled

Riverside ca
Hi and welcome!

I feed my baby desert tortoise a mixture of chopped up (very tiny) collard, Santa Barbara mix (endive, escarole & radicchio), romaine, Artisan lettuces (gem, oak leaf & tango) weeds, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, shredded carrot, grated zucchini. I get the Santa Barbara Mix and the Artisan lettuces at Smart and Final. Occasionally I add soaked Purina Layena or soaked Mazuri to the mix. And a couple times a week I add some calcium powder. I've never had a problem getting baby desert tortoises to eat this mixture.

View attachment 254738 View attachment 254739

Were there any more babies in the nest? They get started eating better when there's more than one at the food.
Yvonne: thanks again for your help. Our baby finally starting eating today and seemed to love the Santa Barbara mix you suggested. Can’t tell you how relieved I am! I really appreciate your expertise.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I just love these tortoises. Congrats on your new baby!