Worried about Elsa climbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Elsa, my 4-year old Hermann's tort, has been in her outdoor summer villa 24/7 since the end of May. We are in south Louisiana which has high humidity and heat temps up into the high 90s in the after noon. Her villa is 8 ft x 12 feet, 8 ft tall at the roof peak and fully screened with 1/2 inch metal hardware cloth. It is shaded most of the day, getting full sun from about 10 am to 2 pm. (My options for placement were severely limited). I added several layers of shade cloth to the roof of the "cool" end, so it's always shaded, even midday. She has an upside down plastic Rubbermaid tote in the "cool" end where she sleeps and uses as a hide. Plants in her enclosure include various grasses and weeds which I have allowed to grow long- you can see little hollowed out areas where she's made herself a nest in several places. The grass is so long, it can be difficult to find her and I've walked right past her several times. I've got a big Boston fern on TOP of her hide, a hosta, another planted Boston fern and several planted asparagus ferns. She has 2 terra cotta plant saucers for water: one in the hot end and one in the cool end- she uses them regularly as they are muddied on a daily basis.

She has worn a trail around the inside perimeter of her enclosure, which we figured was normal. We also see her just hanging out basking or under her favorite plants. Although the lumber that makes the base of her enclosure forms at least a 4 inch sight barrier, she was not fooled from day one. At first I would often find her standing on her back legs, apparently trying to climb out of her enclosure. Then it seemed to stop. I thought she had adjusted well as she has been eating well and very active.

This morning, around 7:30 when I brought out her food, I saw her fresh little muddy foot prints all over the baseboard lumber for almost the entire 12 foot length of one side of the enclosure. Obviously, she has been trying to climb her enclosure. What gives? Is this just her being busy? Is she too hot (current temp in her enclosure 79* with a light breeze), too wet? We HAVE been getting a lot of rain daily and her whole enclosure is either wet or muddy- but she also has 4 concrete pavers that are 12 x 12 inches and 1 inch thick that she climbs easily if she wants out of the mud and wet grass. THOUGHTS anyone????:-(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
First off, I would not be too worried. Is she a tortoise who can easily right herself if she falls over backward? The pavers, while getting her out of the mud are also going to be warmer more likely (depending on where they are with the sun). They would not be as comfy for cuddling into. Plus are they more open? That would be a lack of privacy/security. Can you fix something like a mounded up dirt hill with a hide and plants? Something raised would hopefully stay drier and yet let her still have the easy digging and normal flooring.

An option for the fence line that I could see, is adding another section along the bottom of the enclosure. Take something solid and set it on the current 4" wooden bottom brace (baseboard) to make it taller then she is, so she can't climb and look out.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Will try to get pics up this afternoon.

Thanks Jacqui.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
8 X 12 feet, while enough square footage for her health, isn't enough area for her not to get bored...maybe add "toys" like pipes buried halfway into the soil, a pile of rocks or a few logs for climbing, etc.

My three seem to enjoy climbing up on top of the cave I made them via the rocks surrounding it, to sun...often in the mornings, one or more are up there.

In the afternoons, when their water dish is in the shade, they'll all be enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.