Worried about head injury

me12

Location (City and/or State)
Budapets
hi people,
around 5 to 6 hours ago i accidentally got my little tortoise's head hit against her glass window, and since then she has a runny/bubbly nose and barely wants to open her eyes, only for a few seconds in like every hour. she also makes this squeaky noise when her nose gets bubbly. i'm so worried, what could possibly be wrong? should i get her checked asap?

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
I would seek veterinary treatment. The symptoms you described sound like a respiratory infection, however it wouldn’t suddenly start up by her injuring herself, these would’ve surfaced beforehand. Are you able to tell us the species of tortoise, alongside the temperatures within the enclosure, and the humidity?

In the meantime, keep her hydrated by offering soaks and moistening food (if she is willing to eat). Gently dab away any nasal discharge with a clean cloth, and record any additional symptoms if they surface.

Does she have any signs of head injury (eg. bruising, or a wound)? If there is a notable wound, keep this as clean as you possibly can. Gently soak the area with water, and if you are able to, with a clean (Wet) cotton bud, gently brush away any dry blood or debris (Not too hard, as otherwise you will reopen the wound). Gently apply a medicine such as tamodine to the site to help protect the wound from infection (If you have such a medicine on hand).

A picture of her head injury (If it is noticeable) is also useful if you are able to provide.

me12

Budapets
i'm just worried she might have breathing issues cause of the incident? she hasnt shown any of these symptoms beforehand

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think the head thing is related to the nose thing. I believe the tortoise has a respiratory infection.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
hi people,
around 5 to 6 hours ago i accidentally got my little tortoise's head hit against her glass window, and since then she has a runny/bubbly nose and barely wants to open her eyes, only for a few seconds in like every hour. she also makes this squeaky noise when her nose gets bubbly. i'm so worried, what could possibly be wrong? should i get her checked asap?
If there is a good herpetology vet near you and that is an option for you, take her there ASAP.

We would like to see pictures of her and her setup, (like, what glass window???) and information about her diet, temperatures and humidity levels, etc. What kind of tortoise is she? How old, etc.?