Worried About My Friends Baby Redfoot

Juddyboii00

Location (City and/or State)
Dekalb ail
So I am watching my friends baby red foot for a bit and I’ve been doing it for about a month and I just am so worried I’m doing something wrong. I feed her spring mix every morning and some at night. In the morning i put spring mix a little bit over the top of the bowl pictured below and just about half way at night like my friend told me. I also water her quite a few times a day when she looks like she needs it. I also let her walk around my room about 3/4 times a day everyday for about 20/30 minutes each time! When I look at her sometimes I get so nervous something’s wrong. I’ll post some pictures. I just want to make sure she’s okay and I’m doing a good job taking care of her and if I should do something different!

6024A5B8-F9AE-4292-B410-CD89996FB173.jpeg 24D7EAD5-FA5A-41BE-861C-3511C28672E2.jpeg 3B27F2A7-E49C-48F0-BA0E-012202716167.jpeg 2C99673E-1FFB-458F-9196-476130832E18.jpeg

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
She is beautiful. But please read the recommended care sheets that Yvonne posted for you regarding her diet, housing, temperatures and humidity level, so that she stays healthy!
Apart from the general hazards of being let loose in your house to roam around, like wrong temperatures, ingestion of choking hazards/impaction problems, toxic substances, she will be stressed out from the amount of handling - 3 or 4 times a day for 30 - 40 minutes!? Too much forced activity, she will not thrive in those conditions. Also please dump the red light.
All the best! Good to have you here.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As far as the red light goes....
Colored heat lamps are not great for any tortoise. But in the case of Redfoot, red is a color that they are drawn to. It means something good to eat. And a red light bulb makes everything in the enclosure look like food.
For heat, even a standard house light bulb would be a better choice as Redfoot don't need much heat. 80 to 85 is perfect.
What are you using for UVB lighting?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
Does she have a shallow flat dish (like a plant saucer or something flattish she can get in and out of easily) for drinking and self soaking in the enclosure?

Please tell your friend about this forum.
They need to make a few changes as soon as possible if they want to have a happy, healthy tort and they won't find any better up-to-date advice from experienced keepers anywhere else.

Last edited: