Worried about my Leopards growth

AdamStage

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hudson, Michigan
I bought my baby Leo at the end of Aug. the dealer told me it was six months old. Then I got her and she was 2 1/4 inches and 42g. Tom said she may have been raised dry that's why her growth is delayed. I have followed everything from Toms threads regarding housing. I soak her every day for 30 min. Tom suggested that I do it everyday to help her organ development because it may have been stunted being raised dry. Anyway, she eats everything I put in front of her, she is active and shows no ill signs. I have checked her stool and haven't found any worms. I am going to try ground pumpkin seeds as a possible dewormers if she does have any. When I soak her her, when done her water is filthy greenish/yellow tint and has an oder. After 2 months in my care she is only 46g. This is my first Leo so this is all new to me. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some of them grow very slowly. If you are doing everything right, she's eating and drinking and eliminating, then that's all you can hope for. She will get to be a big girl in her own time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How much are you feeding her? I would feed my guy a big pile of food in the morning so my guy could eat all day long. If he finished it before lights out, I would give him more.
I just got done caring for to 6 month old leopards. I had them for one month. I fed and cared for them, housing etc, the same i raised mine. In one month they each gained 1/2 oz.
Feed babies all they can eat.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I have a baby I got from a very reputable source that is exactly that size and s/he is 5.75 months old. The clutch mate I have is almost twice that size. They grow very differently even when raised exactly the same.

AdamStage

5 Year Member
New Hudson, Michigan
Ok thank you all very much. I am feeling better. I do feed her as much as she can get. Big pile in the am and then again in the pm after her soak!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I agree. I have babies that are 10 months, 6 months, 5 months. Of the 3, the oldest is now smaller than the next two. What? Tortoise number 2 is growing like mad, nice and smooth with the hot+humid (= healthy+happy) and tortoise number 3 is a month younger but fully 2/3rds smaller. Tortoise number 3 is just barely now starting to show some white growth, whereas tortoise number 2 is now doing the black after the white, speedy fast. Just be sure you keep them above 80 degrees (my temps are between 82-86) with 80-90% humidity. Feed variety-a-go-go, supplement (I used both Mazuri and Grassland mooshed together twice a week). Until recently, when more experienced members said it was not needed, I was giving squash baby food soaks every Sunday (I thought it was insurance, to be sure of things). Oh, and sun when you can. Even 10 minutes a couple times a week, makes a difference. And I suppose, like a tortoise, be patient. Your baby will sprout soon. They totally blow me away in how different they grow and of course the shells, the shells are never ever the same. I think they should be called kaleidoscope tortoises. : )

Here is a fun link: http://www.pinterest.com/pietersmith/leopard-tortoise-edible-plants/ and this one, too: http://www.pinterest.com/tlynn168/leopard-tortoise-green/pins/

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Do not let slow growth get to you! I have 2 of the slowest growing Leopards on the site. Gaia, who is 28 months and hovering at 200gms and Eros, who will be 2yrs old on Dec. 31 is averaging 270gms.... on the "Up Side".... I have 0% pyramiding on both!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Zamric, I think you are right...they are the slowest growing leopards that I know of (not just from TFO) ;) But boy are they beautiful! :D

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Team Gomberg said:
Zamric, I think you are right...they are the slowest growing leopards that I know of (not just from TFO) ;) But boy are they beautiful! :D

They are very slow growing! But they are looking most excellent! Look for updated pics soon! :p

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That is great. These threads often don't have a happy ending for dry start babies. She looks great. Good job.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow. What a blast from the past. I'm glad she made it. Her shell looks great.

A lot of babies are slow starters, but with good care like what you've offered, they make up for it later.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
That shell and patterns, they are like a work of art. Very attractive, beautiful.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Congratulation for both of you. This is the happiest moment, old thread is updated with pic showing the one from small to big, and healthy