Worried about my little guy..Temps...

Gdbyrd

I got my little dude a week ago today. I have him in a 40g breeder until he gets bigger and can go outside. I haven't changed anything in the setup, and I had it setup a week before he got here. Today I noticed he was hanging out directly under the basking lamp..which he never does...and he was all stretched out. Otherwise he looked fine. It just bothered me because this was new behavior. My thermometer was reading 101 but it felt warmer. I moved a more expensive probe over there and the temp was actually closer to 110!!!

I picked him up and moved him about midway into the tank where it was a little cooler. He laid there a bit then moved over to the cool side of the tank and ate a bunch of food.

He seems OK but was definitely more sedentary than normal. Doing daily soaks, eating and pooping well. It's too late to do anything now but I want to know if he'll be OK. No idea what caused the temp spike..maybe the bulb burning in? No clue. I moved it up to where it's reading 101 in basking. I don't know why he wouldn't move in the first place. The other side of the tank is 82 and there is a hide he could have gone into.

Thank you.

Nmcgowan

To me, it sounds like your baby is settling in. My new little one was very active her first week in her new 40 gallon then she kind of simmered down. Now she wakes up at 8am, takes naps at noon, wakes up again around 2, and is awake until nightfall. Sometimes she will sleep in her hide or right under her uvb bulb. She also does the sprawling thing. I wouldn't be too worried about the temps, she can make the choice as to whether she is too hot or not. :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
They use heat to speed up their metabolism. This helps them recover from stress and illness. If I know who this is :), I would guess shipping was stressful, and less than ideal temps. He is warming himself up to recover. Body temp has to be 85F for digestion, so basking is perfectly normal. I would keep his shell misted, and raise the light just like you did. He should be fine.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
They sprawl out to increase the contact with the heat. It is a relaxed adorable position.

Gdbyrd

Hi Jodie! Thank you for posting. I thought about calling you but it was getting late so I didn't want to bother you.

Super sweet little guy! My wife and I love him. Thanks again

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Do you have a temp gun? The best way to know how hot a tortoise will get in the basking area is to put a rock directly under the light, and measure the temp with the gun. I use my temp gun all the time!
Glad everything is going well.