Worried about my little Herman tortoise šŸ¢

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
El Sobrante, CA.
Yes, you need to be able to tell what the humidity level is in the enclosure/hide. It is one of the very important perimeters for the health & well being of out tort's :tort:

Claire walsall

Walsall
little Rocco seems ok it may be diet related so I am trying a few new foods and heā€™s reacting well. When he is awake he is quite responsive and alert so Iā€™m not to concerned. I have brought a hygrometer for his sleeping area to Just keep and eye on things. Iā€™m still curious if I have a boy or girl hoping you experts can identity this for me later down the line.

Attachments

• E132BF4E-0B56-404E-89E9-C676CBB156FC.jpeg
    E132BF4E-0B56-404E-89E9-C676CBB156FC.jpeg
    978.7 KB · Views: 4
  • EB551941-597D-4599-9E36-2D2C94B3EC3E.jpeg
    EB551941-597D-4599-9E36-2D2C94B3EC3E.jpeg
    622.5 KB · Views: 4

Claire walsall

Walsall
little Rocco seems ok it may be diet related so I am trying a few new foods and heā€™s reacting well. When he is awake he is quite responsive and alert so Iā€™m not to concerned. I have brought a hygrometer for his sleeping area to Just keep and eye on things. Iā€™m still curious if I have a boy or girl hoping you experts can identity this for me later down the line.

Attachments

• 635827B8-B353-4785-B8F0-7594DF6D3E20.jpeg
    635827B8-B353-4785-B8F0-7594DF6D3E20.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 306BAD07-2B92-4569-8AA6-0E9C9E914025.jpeg
    306BAD07-2B92-4569-8AA6-0E9C9E914025.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 6

Wishbone

oklahoma city
I am having the same issue as Claire. We got a new Hermann almost 2 weeks ago. He is 8 months old. He sleeps all day and night! I have been waking him up to eat every 2 or 3 days. He just stays burrowed all the time. When he's awake he eats very well, likes his bath's, and seems very happy and healthy. But once he's done with that which is only like and hour he digs down and goes right back to sleep.

I keep him in my office. He is in a corner with a window on each side so gets lots of sun. I have the AC vent turned off in the office so it stays about 75 degrees in there with it being 105 degrees every day outside now. His box is 6x3 and elevated. He has a 100 watt basking lamp, UVB lamp, and a cermamic heater for night time. Temp in his box is around 85 degrees and humidity hovers around 55%. I have 3 inch's on coco coir and a half in of pecan shells on top of that.

He has such a great personality and I hate that he just sleeps all the time. Is this normal? Maybe he needs more time to settle in. Should I just leave him alone and let him wake up on his own? I already know he will sleep 3 days and nights so Im scared he could go a week and not wake up. I feel at his age he needs to be eating so that is why I wake him. At a loss.....

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If the conditions in the tortoise enclosures are not correct, this will have an impact on their health and thus on their behaviour. They should not be sleeping so long unless they're either sick or lacking the necessary conditions, or both.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I am having the same issue as Claire. We got a new Hermann almost 2 weeks ago. He is 8 months old. He sleeps all day and night! I have been waking him up to eat every 2 or 3 days. He just stays burrowed all the time. When he's awake he eats very well, likes his bath's, and seems very happy and healthy. But once he's done with that which is only like and hour he digs down and goes right back to sleep.

I keep him in my office. He is in a corner with a window on each side so gets lots of sun. I have the AC vent turned off in the office so it stays about 75 degrees in there with it being 105 degrees every day outside now. His box is 6x3 and elevated. He has a 100 watt basking lamp, UVB lamp, and a cermamic heater for night time. Temp in his box is around 85 degrees and humidity hovers around 55%. I have 3 inch's on coco coir and a half in of pecan shells on top of that.

He has such a great personality and I hate that he just sleeps all the time. Is this normal? Maybe he needs more time to settle in. Should I just leave him alone and let him wake up on his own? I already know he will sleep 3 days and nights so Im scared he could go a week and not wake up. I feel at his age he needs to be eating so that is why I wake him. At a loss.....
Welcome @Wishbone,
I'm not sure if you have seen this, but this is a "Care" sheet for Hermann's -
Please read over this, it will give you a head start on their care.....

Claire walsall

Walsall

Hey itā€™s sounds like you are doing everything right. I did change things up a little and increased the temperature slightly in his sleeping area as it does get much colder overnight I also changed his diet as I was buying so much store brought veg. I now get fresh grown lettuce from my neighbour and have started growing weeds in a pot for him. (never thought I would be growing weeds).
I still have to wake him sometimes to bath him and give him some exercise but would not leave him to sleep past a day. When heā€™s awake he seems fine but I think with mine it was his diet. Let me know how you get on.