worried about my russian tortoise

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
In the UK maybe you can that I don’t know. Here in the States pharmaceuticals can only be bought with a prescription. Without knowing the type of bacteria though there’s no guarantee of purchasing the right one.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Right ok, i will put some pictures up now, i keep my light on for about 18 hours due to the uk being a cold place, so when the light is on it is 37°c and the cool part is 23°c and when the light goes off the temp is 27°c and the cool side is 21°c i turn the light off when we turn the heating on, it keeps my room warm and when we do have hot weather i let him roam around the garden, my tortoise doesnt have any liquid coming from his nose or anything from its mouth, i do notice his eyes go watery after i bathe him, i am using a 80w light at the moment but i have just bought a 100w just incase i need it. I was told by the vet to use paper until he gets better so i have done what he has told me, i use to use bark and topsoil, the vet said it could of been something on the bark that made his eyes this way. I dont know if the person i got him from wormed him so just incase i have bought some of that to try, i can see he twitches sometimes as if he is being bitten i dont know, im trying to think of everything, anyway i will upload the photos now, if you need to know anything else just let me know

Hi

I am in the UK. Whereabouts are you? We may be able to help with a better qualified vet.

Getting the right meds off prescription is generally not possible in the UK. And buying from overseas on the internet is risky as you don’t actually know if what you got is what you thought you had bought.

Lights must be on for 12 hours a day.

You are mimicking the natural day with sunshine indoors.

Your tort must have access to UVB to enable it to make Vitamin D (which it can’t take from its diet) Vitamin D helps your tort absorb calcium from its diet and prevents Metabolic Bone Disease.

Your tort must be warm enough to be active, healthy, eat and digest food. Unlike you, it is cold-blooded which means it must be able to bask at 35C to raise its body temperature... it can’t do it on its own like you can.

Put your MVB lamp on a timer and have it come on and go off at the same time each day.

More often we see eye problems with compact coil type UVB bulbs, but you don’t have one so that isn’t the problem.

Some torts do struggle with certain substrates, particularly if they’re too dry. Coco coir and fine grade orchid bark are reliable, but they MUST be mixed with water so they’re damp throughout. I understand the vet recommending newspaper for hospital conditions - I had to do it with Joe for a while.

Diamond

phoenix,az
Tortoise supply here in the US sells it for $14.94. Its an ointment for the eyes for eye infections.