Worried about my tort, need advice

Amela874

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hello. I have a question as I am unsure about what to do. My baby is a Russian tortoise, she is 4 years old and her name is Terra. She is normally very strong and healthy but she got quite unwell recently. Last Monday I took her to the vets and it turned out she had a renal infection and a blockage in her stomach. She stayed as an inpatient for two days. Her stomach cleared but there was still something in there, maybe an abscess. They don't know what but she is on antibiotics anyway so hopefully that will cover everything. That was the plan but recently she is starting to go down hill again, I think. She sleeps most of the day and is not interested in food or anything. I bath her twice or three times a day and I noticed that she is struggling to poop. We do manage to poop a couple of hard tiny pellets but that's it. My question is should I give her more time or just go and get her checked out asap?
Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Meds can cause them to not want to eat.
Be sure to soak her in a large container and keep her moving. Moving helps get things moving along. Also I would try to feed watery foods. Cucumber, cactus and some water melon. Watery foods help get things moving also. Not normal things to feed but for now we want her to poop better.

Amela874

Scotland
Meds can cause them to not want to eat.
Be sure to soak her in a large container and keep her moving. Moving helps get things moving along. Also I would try to feed watery foods. Cucumber, cactus and some water melon. Watery foods help get things moving also. Not normal things to feed but for now we want her to poop better.
It is more the difference in her activity from Friday when she was quite happy and active ish the today when she seems to be just as she was when I took her in. That is what is making me panic. I know it will take time to recover and get back to normal but what if her stomach is worse again? I have been soaking her in a big container with Reptoboost for at least half an hour. Also I have been feeding her aloe Vera, she loves it but normally more then one portion causes her the runs for days. I gave it to her the last three day and it had no affect on her poop and that is not right.... I am just so so worried but I don't want to go the vet just to be told to calm down and give her time? You know what I mean?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I do know what you mean. I would give another day or two and keep her moving in the soaks and keep feeding watery foods. Be sure she has a proper basking spot of 95-100 or she cant digest her food.
After a couple more days see if there is any improvements. If not then take her back in.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hello. I have a question as I am unsure about what to do. My baby is a Russian tortoise, she is 4 years old and her name is Terra. She is normally very strong and healthy but she got quite unwell recently. Last Monday I took her to the vets and it turned out she had a renal infection and a blockage in her stomach. She stayed as an inpatient for two days. Her stomach cleared but there was still something in there, maybe an abscess. They don't know what but she is on antibiotics anyway so hopefully that will cover everything. That was the plan but recently she is starting to go down hill again, I think. She sleeps most of the day and is not interested in food or anything. I bath her twice or three times a day and I noticed that she is struggling to poop. We do manage to poop a couple of hard tiny pellets but that's it. My question is should I give her more time or just go and get her checked out asap?
Thanks
Did they say how she could have gotten a renal infection? Possible impaction?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes, I do know what you mean. I would give another day or two and keep her moving in the soaks and keep feeding watery foods. Be sure she has a proper basking spot of 95-100 or she cant digest her food.
After a couple more days see if there is any improvements. If not then take her back in.
How would she poop if she's not eating? How would the vet know there is renal infection? That takes testing, not just a visual exam and a guess. Just my thoughts...

Amela874

Scotland
Yes, that's a good plan. Thank you. Its just impossible not to panic and make a sensible decisions. Anyway thank you for your help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How would she poop if she's not eating? How would the vet know there is renal infection? That takes testing, not just a visual exam and a guess. Just my thoughts...
One of the post mentioned a small hard poop came out.
I have no idea what was all done by the vet. Sounds like more then just a visual if they found something in the stomach and and I would guess also blood work.

Amela874

Scotland
Okay okay. So she was an inpatient for few days. They did test, x-rays and the rest. She had signs of sepsis, pinkish tint to her plastron. Also there were signs of blood in her urates. What they think happend was that the infection caused dehydration, that meant that her body sucked in all the water to fight the infection and that has caused her blockage and inflammation. They don't know what cause her infection possibly just a moment of a lowered immune system. She is very well cared for, I have a decent amount of knowledge and understanding of tortoises. Also after she came back home she has been eating, she has just not eat anything today, even her aloe. Does that make more sense?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Okay okay. So she was an inpatient for few days. They did test, x-rays and the rest. She had signs of sepsis, pinkish tint to her plastron. Also there were signs of blood in her urates. What they think happend was that the infection caused dehydration, that meant that her body sucked in all the water to fight the infection and that has caused her blockage and inflammation. They don't know what cause her infection possibly just a moment of a lowered immune system. She is very well cared for, I have a decent amount of knowledge and understanding of tortoises. Also after she came back home she has been eating, she has just not eat anything today, even her aloe. Does that make more sense?
Don't be so defensive...I really wanted to know. I am in chronic kidney failure and infection...they stick needles in me every 3 weeks. So I was wondering how they determined their diagnosis...I didn't mean to be disrespectful, but ya can't learn if ya don't ask. I certainly wasn't inferring in the least that she wasn't care for...I too, have been cared for but I am still sick...It's very hard when a tortoise gets really sick. Being as you are soaking her so much why don't you add Gerber's strained carrots (baby food)to the first soak. Some nutrition and vitamin A soak in thru the cloaca. I have recently used that to save a sick box turtle...it works. She is getting antibiotics which make them nauseated and lose their appetite
100_5300.JPG

Amela874

Scotland
Don't be so defensive...I really wanted to know. I am in chronic kidney failure and infection...they stick needles in me every 3 weeks. So I was wondering how they determined their diagnosis...I didn't mean to be disrespectful, but ya can't learn if ya don't ask. I certainly wasn't inferring in the least that she wasn't care for...I too, have been cared for but I am still sick...It's very hard when a tortoise gets really sick. Being as you are soaking her so much why don't you add Gerber's strained carrots (baby food)to the first soak. Some nutrition and vitamin A soak in thru the cloaca. I have recently used that to save a sick box turtle...it works. She is getting antibiotics which make them nauseated and lose their appetite
View attachment 329449
I am really sorry if I can across defensive. That is not what I was going for, I am really sorry. I just love her so much and it has been a difficult week and I have been feeling really guilty about her getting sick. I feel responsible for it. Still I am sorry I came across rude. I know we need to ask to learn. Being curious is the best was to learn. That is a great idea, I will definitely give it a try. Thank you so much and again I am sorry.
PS. That is a beautiful tortoise what is his, hers name?

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
View attachment 329449
What a little doll! Praying for Terra and you! You are both going through a lot! If you are Catholic put a Miraculous Medal on the outside of her enclosure. Some people will laugh at me! But to me prayer is the best medicine.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am really sorry if I can across defensive. That is not what I was going for, I am really sorry. I just love her so much and it has been a difficult week and I have been feeling really guilty about her getting sick. I feel responsible for it. Still I am sorry I came across rude. I know we need to ask to learn. Being curious is the best was to learn. That is a great idea, I will definitely give it a try. Thank you so much and again I am sorry.
PS. That is a beautiful tortoise what is his, hers name?
That's not a tortoise, she's a box turtle. My sister had a turtle and tortoise rescue for a long time and some animals ended up staying with her. This is a Terrapine ornata ornata...an ornate box turtle. She was chewed by a dog and my sister had a medical emergency so I went down to her from Oregon, and in the time I was there I noticed this little turtle wasn't eating or moving. So my sister let me bring her back to Oregon and I soaked her daily in warm carrot baby food and after about 2 weeks she was eating and acting all ornery and stuff. She is totally a wild turtle who will bite, doesn't like to be held and when I put her out in the pond she immediately swims to the other side and tries to hide...Because of being chewed by a dog, I named her Chewy...

Amela874

Scotland
That's not a tortoise, she's a box turtle. My sister had a turtle and tortoise rescue for a long time and some animals ended up staying with her. This is a Terrapine ornata ornata...an ornate box turtle. She was chewed by a dog and my sister had a medical emergency so I went down to her from Oregon, and in the time I was there I noticed this little turtle wasn't eating or moving. So my sister let me bring her back to Oregon and I soaked her daily in warm carrot baby food and after about 2 weeks she was eating and acting all ornery and stuff. She is totally a wild turtle who will bite, doesn't like to be held and when I put her out in the pond she immediately swims to the other side and tries to hide...Because of being chewed by a dog, I named her Chewy...
I do apologise to Chewy for mistaking her for a tortoise. That was supid. She is one lucky turtle to have found you. I am sure she knows and appreciates your care and dedication.