Worried about my tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiopi

5 Year Member
I have had my greek spur thighed tortoise George for a year now. Hes 14 years old. I looked after him for a friend while they went away and they never took him back, fortunately id already fallen in love with him! I did my research on how to care for him and he was doing really well, i had read you shouldnt handle them too much and its not ideal for them to walk round your house due to low temp but he has been so active he tries desperately to climb out of his home so he can explore. He has always had a healthy appetite and bowels to match! Lately he seems to have slowed down, hes not coming fully out of his house to bask, he eats when i bring him food (mainly dandelions, clover) and hes not been climbing to come out and explore, its been really hot here this week and usually when its like that he goes all day outside but lately hes just walked to his favourite spot and laid down. I was worried he may be constipated and gave him a bath, he did do something afterwards but hes still acting a bit lethargic, he has been wormed, im just concerned thats something wrong im just wondering if this is normal, i am still kinda new to this, one other thing thats happened during this is i think some of my hamsters bedding got into where my tortoise lives, i found some in my tortoises mouth and tried to pull it out but i dont know how much he might have had, but to be fair he was acting different before, im just hoping someone has some advice, we really love him and just want him to be ok!

Antiopi

5 Year Member
Elainea23 said:
I would mainly look at two things.. what temperature he's at, and if he's hydrated.

What temperature do you keep him at? Does he sleep outside, or does he have an inside enclosure?

How often do you soak him?

He has an indoor enclosure. I keep his temperature between 32 and 35 degrees celcius and i give him a soak every other day.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Is the entire enclosure that hot? That is 90-95 F. You only want the basking spot that hot. You also need areas between that down to 22 C (70 F). If the entire enclosure is that hot, you need to cool it down right now. The tort is overheated. You will either see pacing or complete lack of activity with such high temps.

If you meant the basking spot is that hot, then climbing the walls can mean the enclosure is too small or the tort can see out and thus wants out. What size is it and can the tort see out (are the walls short)? You need more variety than dandelion and clover. I feed my tort over 20 foods in the course of a month or two. Both are high in oxalic acid which can cause health problems if everything you feed is high in it. What else do you have in the garden that is chemical free as far as weeds and greens and dark leafy lettuces?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
can you get a hold of some pumpkin? Canned WITHOUT pie seasoning..
See if he will eat that.. if he ate the bedding it Might help him pass it..
just a thought..

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It sounds like your tortoise might have a bladder stone. It would be a good idea to go to a vet and get an x-ray. This will tell whether or not he does have a stone or not.

Also the temperature does seem a bit high, unless that is under the hotspot.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.