worried about new tortie LuLu

Status
Not open for further replies.

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Murcia, Spain
LuLu has been with us 4 days, shes in a walled-off part of our garden and she has buried herself, I can see the top of her shell and she wiggles now and then - she hasnt touched any of the food we have left for her, she is in the same spot where I put her when we got her. I guess she could have been out and about in the night time but the ground doesnt look disturbed...is this normal ??
ps I live in Spain, there is shade, dappled shade and direct sun, she is in a semi-shady area
thanks for any comments

Attachments

• 087.JPG
    087.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 26

Halosmum

5 Year Member
missmoofi said:
LuLu has been with us 4 days, shes in a walled-off part of our garden and she has buried herself, I can see the top of her shell and she wiggles now and then - she hasnt touched any of the food we have left for her, she is in the same spot where I put her when we got her. I guess she could have been out and about in the night time but the ground doesnt look disturbed...is this normal ??
ps I live in Spain, there is shade, dappled shade and direct sun, she is in a semi-shady area
thanks for any comments

Hi, she may still be a baby? Tortoises do like human interaction- and get to recognise your voice and their name etc. Try sitting with her in a very sunny spot when she is on the ground and offer her a small piece cucumber or tomato by hand. She may nibble at it . Also give her little shallow pools water to walk over and logs etc. If she is cold at night, she will bury herself and go into semi hibernation, therefore best to keep her warm and cooler at night by offering her a hollowed log with non dudty straw to sleep in. She could be dehydrated. Are her eyes sunken? My tortoise loves pineapple, cucumber, tortoise pellets soaked in water until soft, even a little bit wet catfood now and again. You can buy something called Reptiboost which is added to a bath of shallow warm water (up to her neck) which gives them strength. hope she is ok. let me know.

I meant non dusty straw

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
I cant see her face, as shes buried down a bit, should I take her out ? thanks for your advice :)

ps - I remember when she arrived, she was very warm to touch, but when we put her in the garden the 1st she did was bury herself ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Halosmum said:
Hi, she may still be a baby? Tortoises do like human interaction- and get to recognise your voice and their name etc. Try sitting with her in a very sunny spot when she is on the ground and offer her a small piece cucumber or tomato by hand. She may nibble at it . Also give her little shallow pools water to walk over and logs etc. If she is cold at night, she will bury herself and go into semi hibernation, therefore best to keep her warm and cooler at night by offering her a hollowed log with non dudty straw to sleep in. She could be dehydrated. Are her eyes sunken? My tortoise loves pineapple, cucumber, tortoise pellets soaked in water until soft, even a little bit wet catfood now and again. You can buy something called Reptiboost which is added to a bath of shallow warm water (up to her neck) which gives them strength. hope she is ok. let me know.

I meant non dusty straw

Hi Halosmum:

Please take a moment to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself. :)

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
BUMP - OK guys - Im worried now, can anyone advise about LuLu, shes been in the same spot and not eaten - do I take her out ??

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Me, I would take her out, give her a warm soak, then offer her food.

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
Jacqui said:
Me, I would take her out, give her a warm soak, then offer her food.

thanks , done that, she was a fair way down, I brushed the soil/tree debris away with a soft house brush around her shell, then picked her out. Gave her a little bath, she seemed lively enough, her head popped out to see what was going on and if I moved to quick, she was back in like a shot, her eyes seemed fine. After her bath, I offered her some food, but no interest after a bit of chatting I took her of her food plate. She just walked to the back of a pen we have made (I put her facing the entrance) she went in, dug about a bit and settled down again.
So I have left her to it, she is a rescue, we have a lot wild around where I live and some people that dont want them find them in their garden. So maybe she's not used to us humans yet :D Its very hot here today we have had highs of 80º so I guess shes trying to keep a bit cool too.
will keep my eye on her of course
thanks for your advice :tort:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
keep taking her out to check on her.,, give her a soaking.. and make sure she has plenty of other hiding spots. she may just need a few days to adjust, but she wont know whats avail if she is hiding.. so get her out at least once daily.. make sure sheis moving around.. see's her area and gets food offered. Very important she also has a chance to warm up in the am to get moving... how cold does it get there at night?

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
oh thanks will do :) night time temps are around 22/25º c - can you tell me a bit more about bathing, when you say soaking - how long etc ?? thanks :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
a nice shallow warm water soak. 15 minutes or so.. if the tort still hasnt eaten, you can add baby food to the water so it gets some nutrition that way.. strained baby food carrots..

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
ooo thanks, guess what Im buying tomorrow from the store, baby food !! I only bathed her for about 8-10 mins was nervous that the shallow water would go cold, but I well do that now thanks, and Im sure I'll get more confident in time ;)
thanks ever so

Status
Not open for further replies.