Worried about the size of my tortoise

Tortoiselover34

Location (City and/or State)
Worthing
Hi! I recently got a Russian tortoise in April called Winnie, she’s been doing well but I’m worried about her weight and her size? She is now 10 months old but she only weighs 35g and this doesn’t seem normal compared to what I’ve seen of other tortoise owners? I’m a first time tortoise owner so any advice would be great thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises are a pretty small species. Please post a picture of Winnie next to something for size comparison.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
If you've got her enclosure/environment set up correctly, she's eating and pooping, you're soaking her on a regular, and she's putting on weight (however slowly), then you probably don't have anything to worry about....

Jamie

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi I just responded this on another similar question.....
Ensure fresh food is available in a dish he can walk into and sit in ideally daily in the morning and remains for the day. Hand feeding is ok once in a while but not the norm they are grazers so will eat when they want. They have a terrible bite so if he accidently bites you you will find out the hard way. Water should be in 24 x 7 refresh twice a day . Growth is slow as your aiming for a smooth even growth and will depend on environment, heat, light, regular shallow warm water soaking ( in a container with high edge), diet and substrate. I think a 2020 35g is ok and good that you weight regularly and retain a log to check growth. share pics and ask questions as required.