Worried for Sulcata in Bellevue, WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

5anc7uary

5 Year Member
Hi there. I've been interested in getting a Sulcata for a while now, but my research tells me it's not the best for the situation and location that I'm in. I've been reading all your helpful threads, and I really appreciate all the input.

I came across an ad on Craigslist for a Female Sulcata Tortoise- 4yr old, 10". It says healthy, beautiful shell. From the pictures, it looks like she might have MBD. Anyhow, I'm just worried for her. Maybe I'm wrong...?

F Sulcata.jpg

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/pet/2298308344.html

~Pam

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Pam:

Welcome to the forum!!

No, actually the little sulcata looks ok. Slight pyramiding, but not too bad.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Welcome, we get alot of sulcatas as drop offs. Here are some pictures of our more recent ones. They are usually pryamided, however once they are rehomed they do great!

io2hpj.jpg

154hsp2.jpg

ibgyed.jpg

handsomeEdger

5 Year Member
Ridgefield, WA
It does have a little pyramiding but looks ok if you do get him/her you should be able to fix most of it!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Like everyone else has said, the pyramiding is not bad and with the proper care it will get better.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! If you are in the Seattle WA area, I think having a Sulcata would be very difficult. You would need a very very large heated area and large yard, meaning high initial and continuing cost, and even then, in my opinion, I think its still at a detriment to the tortoise to live in the area. Some torts get used to it and will go out and graze in the rain and cold and such, but in my opinion, I'd stick to a smaller tort which will thrive indoors. I think keeping a Sulcata in the PNW is a bit different than keeping it somewhere which gets a cold short winter...at least then, its only a few months of the year the tort has to be penned up. Its a lot of the year here.

I keep a Russian indoors in the PNW. Its very rare when we are home, it is daytime, not raining, and over 75, in which case he can go outside on the balcony for a bit. Besides Russians, some other smaller and very personable breeds are Hermanns and Greeks. Russians are the easiest to find as they are very popular, and I think they have tons of personality and looks. In addition to pet finder websites and shelters, I would get in contact with some breeders and try to find a captive bred hold back that is over a year old. Hatchlings are fragile and can break your heart. Either way, I encourage you to spend a few months at least researching the breed you choose and getting the supplies you need, such as enclosure, substrate, fixtures, bulbs, hides, water dish, slate tile for food, temp gun, calcium supplement, plan the diet, and find an experienced tort vet (I have a reference for one in Kirkland...Dr. Johnson-Delaney at Eastside Avian and Exotic). Make sure you have a stable situation as far as job/house/money, so you can make the lifetime+ commitment of a tortoise. In case you haven't noticed, lots of them sadly get re-homed. Good luck!

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I'll echo Kate, as another washington state member,

Sulcata would not be my first choice unless you were prepared to lay out a SUBSTANTIAL investment. These guys need space and are destructive. We're lucky to have 3 months of "tort acceptable" outdoor weather. That means alot of time indoors trying to replicate summer, and there's alot of controversy still on how best to simulate those conditions.

Once a sulcata is "full grown" (they can push 3 feet) they are large enough to do fairly well outdoors much of the year as one of our members has shown, but it still requires a purpose-built structure where he can stay warm and dry much of the time.

Greeks, Russians and Herrmann's seem a much more practical choice.

5anc7uary

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your input. I wish I could home her but I'll be moving to an apartment soon, and I'm afraid it would be irresponsible to take her on without a backyard she can enjoy. I hope she gets re-homed with the right people who can take good care for her.

Thanks, Kate! Yes, from what I've read, it would be difficult to keep a Sulcata here in WA. I'm looking into a Russian or Greek. I recently came across a Redfoot- any thoughts on caring for one?

I'm doing all my research now since there is a lot of information out there as far as diet, substrate, etc. I want to get a home ready before getting a tort. Thank you all!!!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I don't own a redfoot but I am quite familiar with them. If you have a very large indoor space (think size of a small bedroom), and can create a warm (80s F) and high humidity environment, they seem to do well indoors. They get quite a bit larger than Russians, Greeks, and Hermanns. I would also describe them as a shier tortoise (they need lots of hides and ground cover to simulate the rain forest floor, although still very personable. I'm sure someone else will come along soon with some more detailed info. :)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Redfoots aren't great for apartment living (IMHO). As Kate said they don't really qualify as "small" torts. They get over a foot long and do require more specialized setups than most torts. The only reason I have torts at all is because someone bought that cute little redfoot and then realized later they weren't up to the challenge and passed him off to us. I made a custom 3 x 5 enclosure that is already feeling too small. While they're out in the garden this summer I'll be building a 4 x 8. In a couple years they'll need a greenhouse to stay outside year round.

M

Maggie Cummings

I live in the PNW and have spent quite a bit of money getting my 90 pound tortoise set up with an insulated and heated shed. It has a doggie door that I open every morning. Most days he goes out, sometimes he doesn't. He has dirt all over his skin, from being in the mud while it's raining. He will also graze in the snow. *I* think he has adjusted

5anc7uary

5 Year Member
Thanks Kate, Balboa, and Maggie!

Yes, I started to read about Redfoots, and it looks like that won't be a choice for me either. I'm inquiring on a Russian tort on CL, but I'm waiting for pictures and answers about age, how long he's had him/her, and where from. There wasn't much on the ad, so I'll wait to hear back.

Thanks for your input. Have a great week!

Status
Not open for further replies.