Worried mummy :(

EvaRose

5 Year Member
My 8 month old Iberas have a bath everyday, and it seems that once or twice a week, while in the bath they release a white substance into the water - and it's always either partly or fully gritty :( I've read that this indicates dehydration, and it should be more like egg white, is this right? but I'm not sure how I can hydrate them more! I soak their greens in water before feeding them, and I give them fresh water daily! When they wee whilst not in the bath, the liquid is completely clear and smooth like water.
Would be really grateful if someone could please help :)
And I've attached a couple of pics too!
Thank you!ImageUploadedByTortForum1392499564.646778.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392499604.977876.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Don't worry it is just his kidneys working as they should. It is called urates.

RGB

5 Year Member
Seeing the urates is healthy

You are doing a great job keeping them hydrated. poor hydration and the urates won't get excreted regularly and can form bladder stones.... Keep up the great work!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Wow you got the poo on your fingertips! :D:D:D:D haha Just kidding! Your torts fine keep doing what your doing .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Your goal should be to continue soaking and hydration...your tort should eventually have urates cleared out and have clean clear urine....urates are indeed a sign of dehydration----if the urates are gritty and sand like then your tort could stand to have perhaps a little longer warm water soak (like 30 minutes) each day until the urates smooth out and eventually be cleared out....

EvaRose

5 Year Member
Okay thank you all very much! I will continue soaking them every day and keep an eye on their urates :D thank you!

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
^^ everyone is on point... nothing to worry bout... =)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I also feed my tort cucumber. While it is LOW in nutrition, it is high in water content, and she loves it.